• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Triple 7 / Pyrodex Have tried it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried Triple 7 but have some pyrodex.
Black is for ml. Period
Except when I have to deal with facts on the ground. I’ve got some and can shoot it in my real guns( flint locks)
I clean it by the same rules I clean black, ie: don’t have an emergency till after my guns are clean, cause I’m tied up right now.
Don’t ever put off cleaning and the devils ml powder won’t do you no harm

I think there may be many shooters who use the subs because of a perception that cleaning after subs is not urgent.

Bill Knight (the Mad Monk) warned against this practice due to the presence of perchlorates. Apparently the corrosive properties of perchlorates is quite insidious.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per...chemical,static electricity in food packaging.

Bill Knight (the Mad Monk) warned against this practice due to the presence of perchlorates. Apparently the corrosive properties of perchlorates is quite insidious.

i like Bill Knight. But he was wrong on this one. The residue of potassium perchlorate is not very corrosive.

BTW: All of the BP substitutes, including Black Horn 209, contain potassium perchlorate; because it's a cheap and very good method of boosting puissance. Only Pyrodex is seriously corrosive, that's because of an ingredient not found in the other BP substitutes.

I think there may be many shooters who use the subs because of a perception that cleaning after subs is not urgent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per...chemical,static electricity in food packaging.
When P came out that was infact told to me the shop owner where I first saw it. This was a dedicated ml shop, that’s all he sold was ml guns and gear

I started this to not hijack another thread so be patient ..thanks
I have a son in law who absolutely enjoys cleaning guns as much if not more than he likes shooting them?:doh:

I on the other hand I would rather shoot them and cleaning them is right in there with moving furniture and shopping!

So we balance out pretty well ...anyway I'll not breach the holy black discussion as I respect a man's choice of powder be it black or black substitute (for the record I shoot black,209,Pyrodex and Triple 7) but have gravitated to Triple 7

However for those who have tried Pyrodex and do not like it for reasons of fouling, corrosive nature or whatever ..I seldom hear shooters moving from Pyrodex to Triple 7 ..almost always it is a move from black to Pyrodex and stay with Pyrodex or back to black

Having been friends with Bruce, Bob and JB Hodgdon for half a century I had some of the very first Pyrodex and have used it exclusively from it's inception in lieu of black

When Triple 7 came out I moved to it at once (rifles) as the boys told me it cleans up like a regular nitro cellulose powder ..or at least close to it ..Hodgdon still says water and soap clean up ..but I have proven to myself that is likely following with what shooters of black powder are accustomed to and not necessarily the only way to maintain a firearm using Triple 7

I use lead remover bore solvent and Hoppeys #9 to clean my long gun percussion rifles ever since Tripple 7 hit the market with 100% success ...and as I have ventured into revolvers in of late ... the same clean up regimen is also been100% successful

I agree that cost wise ..Pyrodex is a couple of buck higher than the cheapest black powder ..and Triple 7 is about eight bucks more than Pyrodex ..but that is how it once was .....

With Goex gone ..free market pressures lifted possibly.. on foreign BP importers ..I suspect the $$ will come closer together on black/Pyrodex and Triple 7

Just be aware of Triple 7 and it's value of sold by the pound, dispensed by volume(as is Pryodex) BUT ( if my math and memory is correct and you dispense by volume a 16 ounce can of Triple T energy wise is the equal to an 18.5 ounce can of black)So if you are shooting a 20 grain pistol load ..you will have 55 more shots fired than a can of black

Plus eazzzy clean up as well as clean up (with in reason) of when it is convenient and not because less than instant clean up is sometimes catastrophic

Just say times are changing and know your options folks

Bear
When I got my first muzzle loader it was to take avantage of black powder season and to use in my show. I grabbed the first powder I saw which happened to be Pyrodex. I worked up a load that was killer accurate and never looked back. I can clean my rifle in less than fifteen minues . I would like to try Black powder but I have two bottles of Pyrodex almost full? I am tight and don't want to waste it?

I suspect the pressures at equal velocities are the same.

I think the Davenport formula may need adjustment to compensate for that particular powder as well.

Latest posts

Back