• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex P?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny8

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Can Pyrodex P be used in my flintlock? It is a fffg equivalent. I actually have some of this and it’s all I can get locally. Will this work? Thank you
Aaron

Never had any use for pyrodex. You might get it to flash every once in a while, but that would be few and far in between if at all. Get yourself some Swiss powder.

Hey Benny8,

I have actually tried Pyrodex P, as well as other substitute powders in different flintlocks. If you use a substitute powder for the main charge and prime, it might work maybe ten to twenty percent of the time and even then you will have a long hang fire. So, don’t waste your time and money. You will only end up frustrated.

I have found through trial and error that short cuts should not be taken with flintlocks. Real black powder can be ordered on line. Go ahead and get some real 2f or 3f. It will be worth it. Use the tried and true methods and you’ll find that nothing else compares to flintlocks.

Banjoman

Thanks guys. Has anyone tried ordering Black Powder on line recently? The only place I found it required a 5 lb minimum order and shipping is $70. I will check around locally first. Does $37/lb including shipping seem high? I'm not sure as I haven't purchased black powder in a long time.

If you have some real black you can put 5-10 grains under the pyrodex but you are better off with real black in the pan. Works for me for many years.
Been using Pyrodex for near 30 years same reason, availability. You have to clean asap just as you would any other black or substitute.

@Benny8, the substitute powders really offer little else than hangfires if they ignite at all in a flint lock. Tripple Se7en seems to be the best of the substitute powders. I'm not sure of the cost of Triple Se7en, but I think it will be close to the $37 a pound of having to pay the shipping cost and hazardous material fee for Black Powder.

Have you tried the Maine Powder House? They may be close enough to justify a road trip.

They are showing some real black powder on their website.

https://mainepowderhouse.com/product-category/black-powder/

@Benny8, the substitute powders really offer little else than hangfires if they ignite at all in a flint lock. Tripple Se7en seems to be the best of the substitute powders. I'm not sure of the cost of Triple Se7en, but I think it will be close to the $37 a pound of having to pay the shipping cost and hazardous material fee for Black Powder.

Have you tried the Maine Powder House? They may be close enough to justify a road trip.

If I bought 2fg for my load and 3fg for priming, would that work?

Thanks guys. Has anyone tried ordering Black Powder on line recently? The only place I found it required a 5 lb minimum order and shipping is $70. I will check around locally first. Does $37/lb including shipping seem high? I'm not sure as I haven't purchased black powder in a long time.
That sounds about right according to what I have been finding online, if you can find a dealer that actually has some in stock. The dealers are few and far between.

There was a time when I used substitute powders almost exclusively. My problem with them wasn’t ignition or reliable, but cost. During the panic, I saw the price of Pyrodex rise at one point to almost $30 a can locally. For that price, I wasn’t saving anything over the cost of regular Goex. The price may have come down some, but I’ve continued to buy Goex simply because it gives me an excuse to drive up to Dixie Gun Works once in a while. For what it’s worth, I did try shooting Pyrodex from a flintlock with a BP priming charge. It worked, but ignition was noticeably slower and I just wasn’t keen on keeping up with both BP and a substitute.

I ordered 10 pounds of Shutsen from Graf & Sons about 4 months ago. IIRC it was around $120 for the order. I split the order with a friend

if you are on a budget and only need one can i would just buy one powder for both priming and main charge. my 54 flint i shoot 2F in charge and prime, it goes off like lightning,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The real issue was not choosing which one, it was a 5 lb minimum order when they only had 1 lb of fffg. I was told that the fffg doesn't draw moisture, so I figured that would be a good prime charge for hunting. Nonetheless, I was able to find fffg locally.

Last time I saw Triple Seven at Cabelas it was $40. A pound. My club sells black powdeer. Swiss is around 28. A pound. And Schulzin is 21. A pound. However they don’t ship. Local pu only.

Back