• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purchased an original Hall Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find the inspector id on the breech or on the barrel at the breech, haven't found any on the wood? Usually stamping on the wood is after the government boys got hold of the finished arm in most cases. :doh:

I have read accounts of like stories by the different units that had flint and conv. percussion rifles. Probably why they didn't last in the field as long as other ignition systems.

First shot went straight in the black at 100 yards. Second shot my eyes were tight shut due to shot #1. By about shot #3 the chamber was fouling and there was no room for the wad. When I started hammering the ball in things went downhill rapidly.

Hi Buck

Pleased to meet you and there is no hurry for the pictures.

I bought a Jeff Tanner mould and I think I went slightly too large, hence the fouling snag. It has the calibre stamped on it but it's in my workshop on the other side of town. My wife decided our garage was the wrong place for my machine tools and I should rent space, I didn't complain because resistance is futile and it meant I could buy larger machines :grin:

I have seen a picture of a suppository shaped ball, supposedly for the Hall. I couldn't find any reference to it in the Hall Rifle book so it could just be someone trying to boost the value of an antique mold they wanted to sell. Curious though because the Hall chamber is stepped to take something longer.

Robin

Oh my gosh!!! Whatever your wife does to you, it's worth it.

I've seen Springfield 03s that weren't in anywhere as good condition. The thing I like best is that bubba hasn't buggered the screw slots with a round bladed screwdriver. Immaculate condition for a 190 year old rifle.

One of the buying strategies recommended to me was to consider whether I could resell for what I paid for an item. My guess is that you could double your money at a weeks notice.

Great purchase!

The best part - I keep looking and once in a while I find accessories, have missed on several concial and one round ball mold.

After doing more research found the round ball molds are really rare as they were used on very early production guns. The one I missed one, the gentleman let me handle it before leaving the collector show. Looked like your regular old round ball mold in .523 cal per stamping which seems strange, with "HALL MFG 1833" stamping.

It wasn't in the best of conditon, everything looked right - well used, old stampings, nothing wrong that would say "fake". He paid a good price for it and I offered him $50 above, he smiled and walked away. :(

Here are a few "Hall" molds I have seen (didn't purchase), one is a round ball mold mentioned.

hallmold_1.jpg

While the other is a combination bullet and ball mold, a real hand full.

Hallmould1.jpg

Hallmould.jpg

Hallmould2.jpg

Awesome find, what a wonderful rifle, if I remember my history, sharps was an apprentice at harpers ferry building hall rifles.

Here you go with what you wanted, camera is going dead, nneds recharge.

hallcl5.jpg

hallcl3.jpg

hallcl4.jpg

hallcl1.jpg

hallcl2.jpg

Here is usually where you'll find the inspector marks. "NWP" - Patch, Nahum W. - At Middletown and Harpers Ferry, also inspected other makers arms. Was well thought of per letters from Simeon North to Harpers Ferry, asking for his raise in rank and funds. :v

Excellent!
I have been reading up on Kearny's Army of the West and the Battle of San Pasqual, and I just started looking into the Hall Rifle which the Dragoons were supposdedly using at the beginning of the Mexican-American War (probably capped in 1846). These are great pictures of the rifle and the lock! The best that I have seen so far. Thanks for posting. :hatsoff:

Very nice acquisition, and actually, for Cabela's, a decent price. The Hall has always interested me, and since one source had a 100 gr powder charge load, I've always wondered about flash from the chamber. No, I don't expect you to shoot such a valuable specimen to see what happens, but it's an interesting subject. (Yes, I have a bunch of antique firearms I don't shoot.)

Hi all, I am new to the site found you on a Google flintlock search, I have the same Hall flintlock its complete the bolt that holds the flint is broken in half but I do have the pieces and the upper piece of the flint vice is also in my possession.

Here are a few pics.
IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1388.jpg

Any advice on how to clean up this old piece?

Do you guys fire your old flintlocks? I would like to fire this unit but don't know anything about these old guns, I did have it checked out at a gun smith he said its safe to fire and suggested joining a group with members that shoot thse old firearms.

Latest posts

Back