• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on collection of 4 unopened 1970s kits I just purchased

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreebornMNGuy

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi folks! Hoping for some advice on a collection of kits I just acquired. Each kit is unopened (still in original plastic shrink wrapping & Box) and contains all original literature. Here's what I got:

CVA Kentucky Rifle Kit - .45 Percussion - 1978
CVA Colonial Pistol Kit - .45 Flintlock - 1978
Classic Arms - Snake Eyes Derringer Kit - .36 percussion double barrel - 1978
Classic Arms - Twister Derringer Kit - .36 percussion double barrel - 1978

I paid a decent price for the collection as I didn't want to see these get lost to a bunch of knuckleheads who wouldn't appreciate them. Better to see them go to a bunch of knuckleheads who would appreciate them lol. Anyway ... it was kind of a sight unseen deal but knowing they were all unopened and just the way they were the day they were purchased; I made an offer. They are in perfect condition as far as the kits go, minus some minor scuffing on the outer boxes ... a new traditions on the shelf at Cabela's probably isn't in as good of condition as these appear to be. Being unopened, there's no question as to whether or not all the parts are included.

My question is this ... should I re-sell these as is, finish them myself and resell them as completed pieces, or keep the set together and sell it as a collection. If the Kentucky rifle had been in flintlock, I might have considered keeping it and sell the rest .... but I already have two hawkens (TC and Pedersoli) in percussion and don't really need another percussion gun. Ideally, If I can make a couple bucks on the investment, I'd like to put it towards a Kibler kit.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

First question. What did you pay for them and how much $$$ do you expect to make off of them.
First thought, sell the kits so someone can build a gun. Don't seem to be that many kits around for sale??
If all you're thinking of is turning a profit, sell them and don't look back!!
Me, I would rather see the kits go to folks that would build them but once out of YOUR HANDS, it's not your problem.

There are collectors of the classic arms guns and kits who will pay well for those. CVA Kentucky percussion rifle kits recently sold on eBay for more than $400 the pistol kits on there sell for around $300. Those are the ones that make it through as that place does not allow the sales of those complete kits, and many sales are stopped. I think you may realize $900+ if sold on this forum. To assemble the kits then sell is something that may be unwise. I say that because many want to do something their way and will not want it the other way as well as collectors of unbuild mint kits, just like plastic model kit collectors, want an unbuilt kit.

Thanks guys. I'll get to work on some photos and post them up here later in the week. I agree on dumping the kits as is .... especially the cva's. Although I would finish them in walnut/blue for broad spectrum appeal, there are traditionalists that may want them in brown/oil. Thanks for the input!!

First question. What did you pay for them and how much $$$ do you expect to make off of them.
First thought, sell the kits so someone can build a gun. Don't seem to be that many kits around for sale??
If all you're thinking of is turning a profit, sell them and don't look back!!
Me, I would rather see the kits go to folks that would build them but once out of YOUR HANDS, it's not your problem.
I paid a fair price for them ... but not too much (under $500 for the collection). I knew based on brand that these were kits that were no longer being made ... so getting them off of craigslist and into the community here where people will finish them and appreciate them just seemed like the thing to do. As I said, if the long rifle was flintlock instead of percussion, I'd have considered keeping both the CVAs and selling the other two to cut my investment cost. Turns out it was percussion and the pistol that was flintlock. Why the original buyer wouldn't get a matched set is beyond my comprehension ... but it is what it is.

There are collectors of the classic arms guns and kits who will pay well for those. CVA Kentucky percussion rifle kits recently sold on eBay for more than $400 the pistol kits on there sell for around $300. Those are the ones that make it through as that place does not allow the sales of those complete kits, and many sales are stopped. I think you may realize $900+ if sold on this forum. To assemble the kits then sell is something that may be unwise. I say that because many want to do something their way and will not want it the other way as well as collectors of unbuild mint kits, just like plastic model kit collectors, want an unbuilt kit.
Thanks for those numbers. I don't feel as nervous about my investment now. I'm leaning towards posting the kits as is.

Hi folks! Hoping for some advice on a collection of kits I just acquired. Each kit is unopened (still in original plastic shrink wrapping & Box) and contains all original literature. Here's what I got:

CVA Kentucky Rifle Kit - .45 Percussion - 1978
CVA Colonial Pistol Kit - .45 Flintlock - 1978
Classic Arms - Snake Eyes Derringer Kit - .36 percussion double barrel - 1978
Classic Arms - Twister Derringer Kit - .36 percussion double barrel - 1978

I paid a decent price for the collection as I didn't want to see these get lost to a bunch of knuckleheads who wouldn't appreciate them. Better to see them go to a bunch of knuckleheads who would appreciate them lol. Anyway ... it was kind of a sight unseen deal but knowing they were all unopened and just the way they were the day they were purchased; I made an offer. They are in perfect condition as far as the kits go, minus some minor scuffing on the outer boxes ... a new traditions on the shelf at Cabela's probably isn't in as good of condition as these appear to be. Being unopened, there's no question as to whether or not all the parts are included.

My question is this ... should I re-sell these as is, finish them myself and resell them as completed pieces, or keep the set together and sell it as a collection. If the Kentucky rifle had been in flintlock, I might have considered keeping it and sell the rest .... but I already have two hawkens (TC and Pedersoli) in percussion and don't really need another percussion gun. Ideally, If I can make a couple bucks on the investment, I'd like to put it towards a Kibler kit.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!
I'd also be in a quandary! Neat predicament to be in! Let us know!

I'd also be in a quandary! Neat predicament to be in! Let us know!
How about seÄşl the Snake eyes and twisty, then use the profit to buy one of the replacement flintlocks made for the CVA/Traditions guns? That would take care of its main downside... reputation for weak locks.. let you benefit from its surprisingly good accuracy, and you end up with a matched set, as you discussed, finished and decorated as you specifically want.
But I would TOTALLY understand selling them all to get one Kibler kit!

Wow. Kibler has certainly become the favorite here. In every thread about anything, someone brings Kibler up. I have one and like it very much, but there are other offerings. Maybe this forum ought to be renamed to reflect the majority's go to responses.

They all ring a bell except that Classic Arms Twister Derringer Kit. I'm not familiar with that one. You got yourself a good buy there.As far as the decisions of what to do with them, that is going to be your call. But I'm happy for you.

There are those who look down their noses at CVA products. I had the Kentucky rifle and it was a very accurate rifle. I think there were some kits that came with America made Barrels.Those are "desirable".But then you are probably not considering making shooters out of any of them.

Rifleman, Your Opinion is a valid as anyone's here. But my 1st M/l was a CVA .45 Kentucky , I enjoyed finishing it in Plum brown and Tru Oil ..You could pick it out of any rifle rack at 20 yards. I got a lot of compliments on it..It shot like a dream, both Hunting and Matches.....When I started M/L Nebraska did not have a M/L Deer season, We shot Rabbits and squirrels. My son was 4 yrs old at the time.He just Couldn't wait for the Crock Pot of CRITTERS AND GRAVY to be ready.....I'm getting a little hungry just thinking about it...Be Safe>>>>>>>>Wally

Sensisugarbear said: "
Rifleman, Your Opinion is a valid as anyone's here. But my 1st M/l was a CVA .45 Kentucky ,"

My first ml rifle was a finished CVA 'kentucky' flint rifle purchased in 1970. Among many other faults it had: a two piece barrel with twists going in opposite directions for each section; where they joined was a hang up that made loading difficult, mainspring was very soft and weak, frizzen was soft and rarely sparked. I could go on about fit, and etc. I lived near Friendship at the time. During an off weekend a local group gathered at the range for informal matches. I struggled through and at the end was given an award for the shooter having shot all fifteen matches with the lowest score. The award was a Sid Bell powderhorn pin. I still have and wear it proudly to this day. To me, CVA is almost a four letter word. BTW, I later opened a gun shop specializing in muzzle loaders. I quickly gave up selling CVA products because of issues like I described. Customers were not happy with me selling them such 🤬 low quality guns. Enuf said.

Latest posts

Back