• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre Flintlock Books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our head blacksmith was in England recently and took these pictures at the Mary Rose museum in Portsmouth which he said I could share here. This bolt, which would have been fired from an artillery piece, is over 6 feet long and missing its iron head. We are going to build one just for giggles. John Smith said in his book “A Sea Grammar” that “Fireworkes are divers, and of many compositions, as Arrowes trimmed with wild fire to sticke in the sailes or ships side shot burning. Pikes of wild fire to strike burning into a ship side to fire her.” He also talked about “carcass shot,” a hollow cannonball with a spike through it. The hollow was filled with pitch or something, the ball was wrapped in rags. They were said to blaze like comets and stick into ships.
Jay

Attachments

• 20231027_140619.jpeg
    20231027_140619.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231027_140609.jpeg
    20231027_140609.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231027_140537.jpeg
    20231027_140537.jpeg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 0
Our head blacksmith was in England recently and took these pictures at the Mary Rose museum in Portsmouth which he said I could share here. This bolt, which would have been fired from an artillery piece, is over 6 feet long and missing its iron head. We are going to build one just for giggles. John Smith said in his book “A Sea Grammar” that “Fireworkes are divers, and of many compositions, as Arrowes trimmed with wild fire to sticke in the sailes or ships side shot burning. Pikes of wild fire to strike burning into a ship side to fire her.” He also talked about “carcass shot,” a hollow cannonball with a spike through it. The hollow was filled with pitch or something, the ball was wrapped in rags. They were said to blaze like comets and stick into ships.
Jay
Are you guys going to make a pot-de-fer to shoot it and do you need help blasting arrows??

PS I also found the' Hinde'' ' Palm' given me by the crew. Briefly I was crew at least before she was fully rigged out at Hinkes yards Ile let it go in the box for you I never used it since .Its like a stout 'Thimble' only for stout canvas ect .Did you get the Big book of Helds or just the paperback ist Ed Regards Rudyard
I missed your edit. I have the large hardcover edition.

Latest posts

Back