• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre Flintlock Books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am always looking to expand my library and because this is a niche within a niche, I wanted to share some recommendations for pre flintlock books. If anyone else has recommendations, please share. Unfortunately, many books are out of print, so it may take a while to find them for a reasonable price.

Best overall:
Landeszeughaus Graz, Austria: Radschloss Sammlung/Wheellock Collection, by Robert Brooker.
This book has an insane amount of high quality photos of wheellock pistols, carbines, muskets, and rifles, from a 150 year period. The images show various angles and include barrel lengths and caliber. the museum has not added any of these online, so this is the only source for these guns. The main downside is the insane second hand price, or the 100ish euro shipping from Europe.

Good general history:
Weapons and Warfare in Reaniassance Europe, by Bert S. Hall.
This is a great history of the evolution of gunpowder warfare in Europe, including the science and tactics. The book is possible to find for a very reasonable price, which is nice.

Honorable Mention:
Le armi da fuoco portatili italiane dalle origini al Risorgimento, by Generale A. Gaibi.
This book is in Italian, which translation software really struggles with translating Italian gun terms, but it has a huge amount of decent quality images of wheellocks, miquelets, and flintlocks. There are many diagrams and photos of the inside and outside of unusual locks, which is amazing. Many Italian museums do not upload their collections online, so it is one of the only sources for the images. The book has been out of print for 50+ years, but can still be found at a reasonable price.

I have many more recommendations, but wanted to start with just these.

The Bible.
giphy.gif

I know this is probably an impossible question, but if anyone has recommendations for books on French matchlocks or wheellocks, please share, even if it is in French.

Who has seen this?
Leonardo, the Wheel Lock, and the Milling Process
Author(s): Vernard Foley, Steven Rowley, David F. Cassidy, F. Charles Logan
Source: Technology and Culture, Vol. 24, No. 3 (Jul., 1983), pp. 399-427
Published by: The Johns Hopkins University Press on behalf of the Society for the History
of Technology
Stable URL: Leonardo, the Wheel Lock, and the Milling Process on JSTOR

Guns and Rifles of the World

Blackmore, Howard L.

Published by Chancellor Press, 1965 and many other publishers. Absolute classic wth many excellent line drawings of locks and stock profiles

Guns and Rifles of the World

Blackmore, Howard L.

Published by Chancellor Press, 1965 and many other publishers. Absolute classic wth many excellent line drawings of locks and stock profiles
This book is impressively comprehensive. I was very pleasantly surprised when I first read it.

I would love to get a look at Stockel!
Any German speakers here? I am sure there must be some good books in German.
I have

Art, Arms and Armour : an International Anthology. Vol.1 , 1979-80 / Edited by Robert Held

This is truly awesome, with scholarly articles eg
on the Italian view of the claim that Leonardo da Vinci might have invented the wheellock;
The manufacture of Gunflints in England and France
Peter Peck, royal gunsmith
This sounds great! I will need to add it to my collection.

Erhard wolf's 2nd book, Jagd-Feuerwaffen, has many excellent images of rare wheellocks & flintlocks. If I recall correctly there are also some matchlocks.
20230619_103124.jpg

Breech-load "cartridge" wheellock.
20230619_102924.jpg

Breech-load "cartridge" flintlock
20230619_102852.jpg

20230619_103158.jpg

20230619_103138.jpg

Self loading flintlock. Turn the crank to reload the waffen.
20230619_103219.jpg

Revolver flintlock.
20230619_102837.jpg

This book is self published and only sold through Herr Wolf's website:
https://jaegerbuechsen.com/
Hopefully I will have a few books to distribute at the CLA show in August. PM me if you are interested.

William

Attachments

• 20230619_103138.jpg
    20230619_103138.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230619_102852.jpg
    20230619_102852.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
I would love to get a look at Stockel!
Any German speakers here? I am sure there must be some good books in German.

I took some German in college, but it’s been a long time and even at my best it wasn’t technical enough to really keep up. Having said that, whenever I’m going through Stoeckle I use the Google Translate app and it works well enough to get the gist.

Fortunately as well, when it comes to the markings, the task is more pattern recognition than reading.

I took some German in college, but it’s been a long time and even at my best it wasn’t technical enough to really keep up. Having said that, whenever I’m going through Stoeckle I use the Google Translate app and it works well enough to get the gist.

Fortunately as well, when it comes to the markings, the task is more pattern recognition than reading.
I’ve found that google translate handles German gun terms the best, out of all the European languages.

Back