• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Punt gun on "American Guns"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have watched the series a few times out of morbid curiosity, and the show that I recorded a few weeks ago that I got around to watching this week featured a build of a punt gun.

I'm afraid that if I was the customer who had commissioned it, I would be filing charges for aggravated sexual battery. :shocked2:

1) The "barrel" was high pressure tubing.
2) The "breech plug" was literally a regular pipe cap. Not a threaded breech plug, but a PIPE CAP. Apparently without any special internal fitting to the face of the breech. And certainly w/o any external finishing (other than paint) to the cap.
3) The outside of the barrel was threaded for 6" or so, about 4" beyond the pipe cap.
4) The barrel was painted olive drab, with the "Gunsmoke" logo.
5) The stock was a lumber yard 6x6 hacked out and sanded down to fit, apparently unfinished.
6) The lock was some type of rube goldberg electric ignitor actuated by the .50 BMG spade grip bolted to the rear of the "stock".
7) It was mounted to the roll bar of a SxS ATV, with a crude metal strap, a pivot, and a big, crude, unfinished nut and bolt.

They charged him 10,000 U. S. to slap that thing together. :doh:

They fired it w/ a huge load of apparently regular steel BB's. Once for proof, and then once again for the customer. I would bet pretty long odds that the lifetime of the gun will be less than 10 shots or so.

I'm not the only one that saw all this, right?

Yep, I saw that too. :doh: I was not impressed. How would youblike to have clean that thing? After seeing the other guns they've made on the show, I had much higher expectations. :td:

Stupidest thing I have ever seen. I could have built the guy two punt guns the RIGHT way for that kind of money.
That barrel was scarey. It was nothing more than a piece of pipe. :shocked2:
I didn't watch the whole show, couldn't take it...
In fact, the only thing that got me to stop on that channel was the two gals with big plastic boobs. :grin:

They're all morons. The show is absurd. I watched it once or twice and that was it. They made a "brass barreled hand gonne" on one. :shake: what a mess. I don't remember how many thousands they supposedly charged the guy to make it, but it was something that could literally have been done for a few hundred dollars.... and done a lot better. The young boy that does the engraving, on the other hand, is talented and bright, and for the brief time I saw him on the show it seemed to me like he was not as enthused about the program as the rest of the ding dongs.

What's the other show called, with the "Red Jacket" crew.... I don't remember, but can't stand them either.

As I was flipping through the channels one day, there was a program on with the two lead idiots from those two shows hosting, and it was about historic guns or something, and I happened to land on the segment about the Battle of King's Mountain. Holy manure, it was bad. Real bad. Worse than that. I think part of my brain died just watching it. The next segment was something about the Mauser bolt rifle, and both of these "gunsmiths" made a big deal about how it was so advanced because it held FOUR (count 'em.. FOUR) cartridges in the magazine. Egad. I wouldn't trust either of those dingbats even to paint red fingernail polish on the front sight of my .38. :shake:

I cant stand watching any of those shows.
I get all the gun "knowledge" I need from Mike :grin:

Agree. Also agree with others.
"stupid" is a good description. Yes, they built a pipe nothing more. It would have been fun to see them replicate a genuine antique punt gun.
The prices charged are absurd. I don't understand what the producers think they are doing with those kinds of prices.
The girls are cute.

I can watch much cuter (and more natural) girls elsewhere, without the irritation! :wink:

:eek:ff I think the point behind those shows is to produce drama, not guns. Any of those jerks would have gotten fired the first day from any gun shop I ever heard of.

Well, Clark Custom Guns used to keep a real jerk on the counter just to thin the customers out a bit, but that is the only one I recall. And he was there for decades.

I have seen both shows implement INCREDIBLY dangerous ideas. And some just boners. Example from the Red Jacket crew: attaching a taser to an M4 carbine (or a shotgun, don't remember now). We already have cases of officers drawing their service handguns and shooting suspects when they were only meaning to draw the taser. Now we put both items in the officer's hands at the same time??? :doh:

Agreed, that was outragous, but how about the bowling ball cannon made from an oxygen cylinder? :haha:

This show really is a joke with the most inflated prices I've ever seen but I guess plastic surgery ain't cheap so.... :shake:

A very poor choice for a zombie gun. Really the only decent thing they have done so far was building the gun for the disabled vet.

I have to admit that I watch "American gun" to see what they will come up with next. The one thing that really gets me going is their statement that " We are the only people who can make a gun from scratch." Especially with their hand Gonne. I am afraid some of the viewing public will believe what both of those programs put across the screen.

Hey it is T.V. Land they can do whatever they think will make them a buck. Safety? Who cares?

RED JACKET indoor shooting range ?
testing all the guns even machine guns on the indoor range is it 15 feet > 50 feet ? :idunno:

I was born and raised in the Ill river valley and I have seen several punt guns that the market hunters used.I have never seen a piece of junk like the one on that show.Most of the guns that I have seen looked like modern guns in an enlarged scope.The last one that I saw sell at a auction was a single barrel hammerless four gague with several large brass shells.Some of the guns had a yoke on the barrel that could be placed in a fixture like a oar lock.

I find it hard to believe that with all the things that are discussed on this site that there are 17, mine makes 18, posts in regard to a subject, and program, as assinine as this one. I don't believe that these two programs do anything but make the firearms fraternity look like a bunch stooges. Remember, a great part of the public takes these shows as the gospel, that's why they are on the air. IMHO!!!
Mark :td: :barf:

If nothing else, if someone ever does a search about the "Punt gun" they built there will be at least one search result details what bozos they are.

Back