• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Public Apology

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks to have been fired with some kind of obstruction
Could you please elaborate?

The reason I ask:
I once owned an unmentionable Ruger single action whose barrel had a 'ring' midway down it's 6 1/2" barrel. My guess is that a previous owner had a stuck bullet and then fired a second round - 'ringing' the barrel. There was no bulge visible on the outside of the barrel.

If that's the case with your ROA - I would try shooting it first to see if any repair work is even needed.
In my case the slight ring that was present did not have any effect on safety or accuracy.

You mentioned you had some health difficulties so hadn't shot yours - do you have someone who could shoot it for you while you are present?

Could you please elaborate?

The reason I ask:
I once owned an unmentionable Ruger single action whose barrel had a 'ring' midway down it's 6 1/2" barrel. My guess is that a previous owner had a stuck bullet and then fired a second round - 'ringing' the barrel. There was no bulge visible on the outside of the barrel.

If that's the case with your ROA - I would try shooting it first to see if any repair work is even needed.
In my case the slight ring that was present did not have any effect on safety or accuracy.

You mentioned you had some health difficulties so hadn't shot yours - do you have someone who could shoot it for you while you are present?
I suspect wanting to sell it ,he probably wants to sell not shoot !/Ed

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I just received this back on Friday the 12th. I haven't had a chance to contact Ruger. As far as shooting I just had shoulder surgery on the 9th. Going to be a while before I really want to do anything with this
I would eventually want to bring it back in shooting condition, a couple people have made offers which I am considering.
Again Thanks to all who have replied

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I just received this back on Friday the 12th. I haven't had a chance to contact Ruger. As far as shooting I just had shoulder surgery on the 9th. Going to be a while before I really want to do anything with this
I would eventually want to bring it back in shooting condition, a couple people have made offers which I am considering.
You're welcome, I hope your shoulder improves and everything works out okay for you.

If you answer Rum River's question members may be able to offer useful help:

" OP, could you please provide more info on how the barrel is defective? "

If the gun comes from Ruger, call them. Ruger has always done their best for me. They are really top notch. I have sent several used guns I purchased over the years and they repaired them as well as paid the postage both ways. They didn’t send me a bill either. I also bought a new set of nipples for a used ROA I purchased about 10 years ago. You won’t know until you call.

I repaired a ruger .44 a few years ago that had the same issue. Basically, the bulge was about 2 inches down from the muzzle on a 7 1/2. I cut the barrel just behind the bulge re-faced and crowned the barrel and had a fuctioning 5 1/2 revolver.

I was one of the fellows who made an offer to purchase the ROA. We agreed on price and I made the purchase. I couldn't be happier with the description of its condition.

I have always wanted one and passed on one many years ago at a gunshow, told the old boy "If it was there when I made it back around, I'll buy it". He offered to hold it, I said no and it sold shortly after I walked away. Needless to say, I was disappointed, but certainly my fault for not having him hold it.

I know this particular ROA is going to need some TLC. I'm currently on an e-mail waiting list for a barrel and looking at other options.

I repaired a ruger .44 a few years ago that had the same issue. Basically, the bulge was about 2 inches down from the muzzle on a 7 1/2. I cut the barrel just behind the bulge re-faced and crowned the barrel and had a fuctioning 5 1/2 revolver.
How did you cut it? Did you have to remove the barrel in order to cut and crown?

I used a metal bandsaw then faced it with a squaring cutter and finished with a crowning tool. Didn't need to remove the barrel, just removed the loading lever.

If the gun comes from Ruger, call them. Ruger has always done their best for me. They are really top notch. I have sent several used guns I purchased over the years and they repaired them as well as paid the postage both ways. They didn’t send me a bill either. I also bought a new set of nipples for a used ROA I purchased about 10 years ago. You won’t know until you call.
Ruger is real good and fast about Factory Letters, too. But they don't truck with the old Old Armies!

I can make a new barrel for it via turning a blank. I've rebarreld plenty of things that people told me weren't possible. Even jobs that other gunsmiths have turned down. I learned from my old man who was a tool and die maker.

Latest posts

Back