• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pros and Cons of Carrying a Flat Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

50 caliber
Reaction score
Would appreciate any and all insights into using a flat powder horn during hunting season. Size, easy of use, and any other issues or thoughts would greatly be encouraged. Thanks!

I use a flat horn for hunting small game. I like how it tucks in close to my ribs, and is not in the way when I need to get to my bag.

I use a small fatted horn for hunts you wont need many shots it sits better worn so fine by me . only a cut of charger would improuve it Rudyard

I have a beautiful horn that holds both powder and ball that I bought from a craftsman on here. I have not used it yet but if I am going into the field that is what I will use. I like the compactness of it.

I love mine. I asked for the biggest one he had when I ordered it. I have a bag and horn for every gun but I wind up using that flat horn with several guns since it's so light and handy. Mine is a little over 9" inches so just a little bigger than a lot of flat horns.

Ames has made some awesome flat powder horns that also have storage for ammo. I keep missing on purchasing one of his works of art but keep hoping to score one of his horns.

Anyone have any idea how much powder is usually stored in a flat horn? 1/4 pound? 1/2 pound?

Ames has made some awesome flat powder horns that also have storage for ammo. I keep missing on purchasing one of his works of art but keep hoping to score one of his horns.

That is what I bought on here. It is really nice. I have not used it yet so I do not know how much it holds. Certainly enough for hunting but maybe not enough for going after bluecoats or redcoats.

Flattened horns are my favorite. They take up less space. Not sure when they were in vogue.
Quiet when they where in vogue I have no documentation but they do seem a traditional Scottish type likley date from 17th c or before they come in all sizes I've made big & little .the form is created by heating the horns till near melting then pressed into desired shape with adjustable fillers & quik hands . Rolland Cadle was good at making these horns. I doubt they are percussion much but the Scots being a thrifty race & the horns hard to wear out easily certainly could be .I beleive small flat horns where used to carry caps that might be what Tomahawk is thinking of
Rudyard

Last edited:
I have a older flat horn that I carry when hunting squirrels it may hold a half pound never really measured it, It works good for that purpose with the .32 fits nicely in a smaller pouch or a coat pocket. I would say with a SWAG the horn dates too late 1800 early 1900s, found it in a old antique store probably 45 years ago.

Flat horns can be of any size from priming horns that tuck neatly in the shooting pouch pockets, to large horns...depends on the size of the horn you start with and how much you cut on it.
If the larger one isn't to large it will lay under the flap of your shooting bag nicely and it keeps the rain off them while hunting.
Age? I think people have been putting stuff in horns to keep it from getting wet since before gunpowder and flattening a horn is not rocket science. If someone came up with a flattened horn from medieval times I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Would appreciate any and all insights into using a flat powder horn during hunting season. Size, easy of use, and any other issues or thoughts would greatly be encouraged. Thanks!

It fits into your pocket or your shooting bag, so as long as you remember to top it off when you are done, you can grab your gun and bag and go, next time.
It may be of a style to historically fit into the same era as your gun
It looks cool

It's flat, so doesn't hold nearly as much powder as round horn, but they were either a sporting hunter's "day hunt" horn, or a priming horn
They can be more expensive due to the extra work to make them "flat"
If they are a priming horn..., anytime you go from one horn to two you add complexity to your loading procedure. Whether this is too much is up to the shooter.

LD

I really like my flat powder horn for hunting......Compact size and good for 10-25+ loads depending on my caliber in use(45-62)
78E9F747-E189-4B52-8836-5A38DAD4C8FB.jpeg

I like , have and use flat horns but don't wear them. I use double bags and put a flat horn in one side and shooting accessories in the other. For most hunting situations you wouldn't need more than a few shots at best so small/medium work fine.

I have one for day hunting, and it is like a SLIMJIM in my bag or hunting pouch! they were carried by GENTRY back in the day.

Back