• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pros and Cons of Carrying a Flat Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muzzle loading seems to be an activity in which mature adherents sharing with newer devotees helps keep the intensity of the embers burning.

Ames has made some awesome flat powder horns that also have storage for ammo. I keep missing on purchasing one of his works of art but keep hoping to score one of his horns.
This is a decision you will not regret. There are several really talented horn makers here. That said, the only horns I have were made by @Ames and each one is exception both in quality and craftsmanship.

Just contacted him this morning to get one of his flat horns with storage in the back.

Never owned or used one but have wanted one for a spell. If I can ever pick up a small horn and get over my lazy spell I make cobble up one to use.

aren't they just great??

Yea, about as great as a Locust thorn stuck in your foot and getting infected.
They are OK for storage of extra powder in a pack, but not much good for anything else.

I fail to see the attraction other than most are heavily scratched. (not really scrimshaw) in intricate patterns and are quite pretty.
I do like horn scratchings so appreciate the art, especially this one: (photo)
Otherwise, most don't carry enough for a really good 4 day hunt or for a competition match of more than 20 rounds.

But, that's just my opinion. Sadly, they are becoming more popular with the reenacting crowd despite them not being Historically Accurate for their time periods, or regions reenacting. I call it misplaced anachronisms. They are right there with Damascus steel. Pretty, but not appropriate for all cases or all areas of the world or all time periods.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-222658_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-222658_Facebook.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 54
Yea, about as great as a Locust thorn stuck in your foot and getting infected.
They are OK for storage of extra powder in a pack, but not much good for anything else.

I fail to see the attraction other than most are heavily scratched. (not really scrimshaw) in intricate patterns and are quite pretty.
I do like horn scratchings so appreciate the art, especially this one: (photo)
Otherwise, most don't carry enough for a really good 4 day hunt or for a competition match of more than 20 rounds.

But, that's just my opinion. Sadly, they are becoming more popular with the reenacting crowd despite them not being Historically Accurate for their time periods, or regions reenacting. I call it misplaced anachronisms. They are right there with Damascus steel. Pretty, but not appropriate for all cases or all areas of the world or all time periods.
That is one nice "scratched" flat powder horn!

Flat horn.jpg

And this one looks like it should hold that entire container of Dupont powder, enough for a good long hunt I would think assuming there were more hits than misses.

I have others besides flat horns, I just like them both.
These are the ones laying around the family room, some of them I carry at different times depending on wether I am doing French or English or whatever. Bruce Horne, Scott Sibley, a couple of originals and any really ugly ones I probably did.
Horns.jpg

But they have been around for awhile

Indeed, they have and your photo is not of the continent or time I am referring to... that is why I simply said " despite them not being Historically Accurate for their time periods, or regions reenacting" I see far too many in the 18th century British colony crowd.

View attachment 77797
But they have been around for awhile
In the deGeyn musket manual, none of the musketeers are carrying a flat horn. This gentleman’s priming flask is almost certainly wood, covered with leather, with brass or iron reinforcement. The caliver manual shows what may be a couple of Nuremberg-style flat horns, but they may be wooden copies.
Musketeers carried their measured loads in the wooden or copper alloy chargers hanging from the bandolier.

And before anybody says it, the term “apostles” is NEVER used in a single primary source to refer to the chargers. It’s just made-up Victorian BS. There are almost never 12 in surviving images or specimens.

Jay

Flat horn 2.jpg

So, the latest is I am told loading from flat horns causes vertical stringing on the target due to the granules in the horn being oriented up and down. That's why they never used them back in the day. You guys crack me up.

Latest posts

Back