• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small flat powder horn maker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORBushman

"In the Woods"
Reaction score
Years ago, I logged on under a different user name but forgot it. I purchased a small flat powder horn with a squirrel scrimshawed on the side of it and cannot for the life of me remember the forum member who made it! If anyone, or if that member sees this, knows of this individual please reach out to me as I want to purchase another one. Appreciate any assistance and thank you all in advance. :)

Rick Froelich? post a pic and I can tell you if it was him or not.
I don't have the horn anymore due to an unfortunate situation but, that is amazing because as soon as I seen the name, I remembered! Thank you very much! Do you know if he still makes horns or is a member here and if so, what his user name is?

I don't have the horn anymore due to an unfortunate situation but, that is amazing because as soon as I seen the name, I remembered! Thank you very much! Do you know if he still makes horns or is a member here and if so, what his user name is?
I haven't seen him here or on the ALR for a long, long, time. Maybe he changed screen names?

I believe he's still on this side of the grass, have not seen him on any forums in some time but he is on facebook, SMO is correct he was Horner 75.

Look for Rick Froelich Sr on FB , he last posted there in April

If I recall he lost his Wife a few years back and after that his posts were less & less…

I hope he’s well.👍
Sad news and I too hope he is well! Greatly appreciate the info everyone!
Look for Rick Froelich Sr on FB , he last posted there in April
I don't do Facebook or any of that kind of social media. I knew it would be a long shot as I got that horn a good while ago. May just have to go with a plain one from a different source. 👍

Sad news and I too hope he is well! Greatly appreciate the info everyone!

I don't do Facebook or any of that kind of social media. I knew it would be a long shot as I got that horn a good while ago. May just have to go with a plain one from a different source. 👍
You could go over to the ALR forum and look up Bob Gerard and see if he'll take a commission, he does great work!

ALR=American Long Rifles Forum.
Crazy Crow Trading, also sells small, polished flat horns, with a stopper, at a reasonable price.

Dave
Great, thanks!

I looked at the ones from Crazy Crow and was thinking that might be a great option and I could try and scrimshaw my own design on it. I have a scrimshaw tool that I used to do my own powder horn back in '14.

ljlSins.jpg

troSCEE.jpg

You could go over to the ALR forum and look up Bob Gerard and see if he'll take a commission, he does great work!
Thanks beavermsn2- much appreciated! ( I’m that Bob Gerard fellow. But I refrain from doing commission work these days though).

What is this scrimshaw tool you refer too?
It came with two tips and a soft rubber slide on gripper to help with long scrimshawing sessions. Got it so long ago, I don't remember where I got it from.

thumbnail_20230911_144311.jpg

Back