• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pros and Cons of Carrying a Flat Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have others besides flat horns, I just like them both.
These are the ones laying around the family room, some of them I carry at different times depending on wether I am doing French or English or whatever. Bruce Horne, Scott Sibley, a couple of originals and any really ugly ones I probably did.
View attachment 77925
now they are a passel of day horns, just gorgeous!!

I am impressed with the artistic nature of the various flat horns members have shared! Collecting horns could become yet another expensive hobby! LOL

I see this is an old thread - but there’s a lot of good information within. I’m funny - I have beautiful carved horns made by @PathfinderNC that I love. I wear them to show off around my non-ml friends.

When I hunt I love small horns. I have a little banjo horn that lives in the bag for my .40 and a nice flat horn that lives in the bag with my .62 jaeger.
IMG_2620.jpeg

IMG_2419.jpeg

Just read a description , and drawings of some old original Ky. /W.Va. shot pouches . Most had some of the contents , which showed a preference for flat horns to carry powder either tied under the bag flap , or stored inside the pouch totally out of the weather. It was thought these flat horns were for smaller cal. guns , under .40 , due to the other accoutrements . My choice is flat horns to use these days , cause they are out of my way , and can be used for priming horns , and larger for charge powder.

Don't overlook Scandinavia. Sweden produced some nice flat horns, as did some of the Slavic countries.

I carry a small flat priming horn (fits nicely in my outer pocket of my bag) and a medium flat horn either in my waistcoat pocket or under my bag flap. Even on a grouse hunt, I don't expect to shoot more than three or four times in a day. Plenty of powder. I also have a flat horn which holds shot.

ADK Bigfoot

Looking back over decades of hunts I realize the only times I might want to carry a large horn would be on an all day dove shoot. Even if you are calling in rafts of waterfowl you are only getting two shots at a time with your muzzleloader.

Back