• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nice horns from Powderhornsandmore.com

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received some nice horns from Powderhornsandmore.com . They were shipped promptly, arrived safely, and are exactly as pictured (the project horn was a random selection on their part, but it is very nice.) I definitely recommend giving Powderhornsandmore.com your custom.

These horns will make for some fun projects. I have in mind a "regular" horn with pewter fittings, and a flat horn with pewter fittings. The white horns pictured are their "medium" horns, and the black horn is one of their "project" horns which are sold as probably not being usable for powder horns. The black horn has a solid tip all the way back to the rubber band, and indeed, it would not have much internal volume for a regular powder horn, but it has a lot of solid horn material for carving, so maybe the solid material would be good for turning or shaping a fitted spout. Or other things. I'm going to use it for an experiment with making a flat horn using the boiling oil technique.

Anything will be better than a plastic powder bottle...

Attachments

• PXL_20240209_162234161 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240209_162234161 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20240209_162522486.jpg
    PXL_20240209_162522486.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I had been scouring thrift stores for a turkey cooker since Christmas was over, but no luck. I saw a little "fish fryer" on sale at Cabela's for $40. It has a 6 quart pot. So I bought it. The next day, I saw a full sized turkey cooker at a thrift store for $34. Ain't that how it goes.

I want to use the small burner for melting pewter, and for heating horn. Maybe I'll try comparing the boiling water and the boiling oil techniques. The good thing about the small size of the burner I ended up getting is just that, it's a small size, and probably more suitable for my purposes than a large turkey cooker. I will probably just use a quart or two of oil in a small pot for heating the horn. I can always use the leftover oil for quenching things if I need to.

I can echo your experience with PowderHornsand More. You get exactly what you see on the website.
Good luck building. Pictures as you go please.

If you haven't used it, I would return it to Cabela's, after I bought the thrift store one. Bigger is always better and the burner can be turned down for less heat. Cabela's has a great return policy to boot.
I was going to do exactly that, but it was gone the next day.

That's the thing about thrift stores around here, if you see something lay hands on it and take it right then. It won't be there when you come back.

I had been scouring thrift stores for a turkey cooker since Christmas was over, but no luck. I saw a little "fish fryer" on sale at Cabela's for $40. It has a 6 quart pot. So I bought it. The next day, I saw a full sized turkey cooker at a thrift store for $34. Ain't that how it goes.

I want to use the small burner for melting pewter, and for heating horn. Maybe I'll try comparing the boiling water and the boiling oil techniques. The good thing about the small size of the burner I ended up getting is just that, it's a small size, and probably more suitable for my purposes than a large turkey cooker. I will probably just use a quart or two of oil in a small pot for heating the horn. I can always use the leftover oil for quenching things if I need to.
Fry daddy works great, I use Veg shortening in mine as it solidifies and makes it easier to store, no dang it moments of spilt oil on the shelf.
The problem with boiling water it only reach 212degrees, with the memory that horn has 325 degree oil is much more productive,

Fry daddy works great, I use Veg shortening in mine as it solidifies and makes it easier to store, no dang it moments of spilt oil on the shelf.
The problem with boiling water it only reach 212degrees, with the memory that horn has 325 degree oil is much more productive,
That's what I've seen and heard. I have a candy thermometer to get the canola oil the right temperature. I might have to get some shortening, instead, as that sounds like a more convenient product to handle.

Back