• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prelubed RB Patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaCop

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How critical is it to get the ball exactly in the center of a pre-lubed/cut patch? I'm really anal about centering the ball on the patch.

Tom

It is absolutely essential the ball is perfectly centered in the patch. Also if it is striped pillow ticking the lines of the stripes must align vertically with the sight plane of the rifle. The lube must have been applied during a full moon in the month of February. And the patch cutter needs to have been blessed by the Oracle at Delphi (appropriate offerings to the temple included).

Ghettogun said:
It is absolutely essential the ball is perfectly centered in the patch. Also if it is striped pillow ticking the lines of the stripes must align vertically with the sight plane of the rifle. The lube must have been applied during a full moon in the month of February. And the patch cutter needs to have been blessed by the Oracle at Delphi (appropriate offerings to the temple included).
At first when I started reading the post I said to myself - "is he for real" then I read more and started to laugh - you had me going :rotf: :rotf: thanks for the laugh :grin: .

Nah. You can substitute any other kind of grease as long as it is vegetable origin. :rotf:

Gerard Dueck said:
Nah. You can substitute any other kind of grease as long as it is vegetable origin. :rotf:

I think you must really mean VEGETARIAN grease - I use a tallow blend, & all the dairy cows in my area only eat grasses & silage ... :blah:

Ghettogun said:

You neglected to mention that a micrometer, either digital or dial is instrumental in proper centering the patch. The Digital calipers on sale at Harbor Freight may not be sufficiently accurate :idunno:

Hello Ga Cop, this is Whitebear from Milledgeville Ga. You can use the next size larger patch(IE 54 cal in a 50 cal gun)this will help solve the problem. Or as previously mentioned go to a fabric store, take your micrometer or dial caliper with you and find some tight woven cloth of the same or close thickness as your pre lubed patches buy 1/8 yard take it home and wash it at least twice and try it. Cut at the muzzle with a nicely crafted patch knife. you may want to buy a thicker and thinner sample also. Try this patching as soon as possible so that if it works you can go back to the store and buy several yards. Have a story prepared for answering questions about why you are measuring the thickness of the cloth!

ZUG said:
Ghettogun said:
At first when I started reading the post I said to myself - "is he for real" then I read more and started to laugh - you had me going :rotf: :rotf: thanks for the laugh :grin: .
That is the reason I went to a canvas patch that the weave was the same on both sides. That way I wouldn't have to see if I used the correct side against the bore.

Bob

A little while back there was disscussion on square versus round patches and I was surprised that the guys using square patches get fine accuracy- no difference. In my experience the thickness of a patch can make a huge difference and sometimes different lubes give different levels of accuracy.
There are also the guys carrying a big piece of cloth, the cloth goes over the muzzle and then the ball is put in position and seated flush with the muzzle and then the excess cloth cut- the patch coming from the big piece of cloth. It would seem a perfectly centered ball would always be the result.

for the hundreds of different ways someone or another is always saying "always worked for me" I always get a chuckle how some guys get SOOO serious about how their way is the ONLY correct way to get accuracy. Thanks for keepimg me entertained, but some of Ya'll are way too serious! I wouldn't even enjoy it if I had to worry about the thread count on my shirt, If my shoes were HC/PC, or If someone may scoff at my mass produced cheapo that I like shooting hehe :wink: guess il just keep sitting in my modern ladderstand with a traditional bow/sidelock and be an anomaly onto myself :rotf:

Well now I guess there are two anomilies. If I had to worry about all the PC/HC stuff you read about on here, I would just sell my guns and get one of those modern type.

Centering the ball exactly on the patch is not all that necessary. The important thing is to get the ball positioned so that when the patch wraps around the ball, all sides will be covered by the patch so the bare ball does not touch the inside of the bore. If the bare ball touches the inside of the bore, you loose some of the seal of the hot gasses and also subject your bore to leading. No need to get anal about exactly centering the ball, just use reasonable care and that will be good enough. :thumbsup:

When I started shooting BP in 1973 my kids had gotten out of three-cornered pants and I had a huge supply of Curity cotton diapers, well-washed and very soft. I used them as cleaning cloths and patches until the day I ran out of (or forgot to bring) ticking for shooting patches. I doubled the diapers, lubed them with T/C Spit Patch and never used anything else again. It worked well with .490 round ball in a T/C Hawken and later in a Lyman Great Plains rifle.

I've been told they are too soft, but I've also been told not to use FFFg powder. Both served me very well. I recently came back to BP and had a devil of a time finding cotton diapers in out local stores. I finally found, and bought, three boxes and threw them in the washer / dryer for a dozen cycles.

They still work just fine and I still use FFFg powder...but it isn't $2.59 a pound any more.

FWIW, I also have a large supply of scrap cloth to use for cleaning patches, too.

Billnpatti said:
Centering the ball exactly on the patch is not all that necessary. The important thing is to get the ball positioned so that when the patch wraps around the ball, all sides will be covered by the patch so the bare ball does not touch the inside of the bore. If the bare ball touches the inside of the bore, you loose some of the seal of the hot gasses and also subject your bore to leading. No need to get anal about exactly centering the ball, just use reasonable care and that will be good enough. :thumbsup:

Exactly right. As long as the ball has patch material between it and the bore, everything's good. Patch shape is immaterial as long as the ball is not touching the rifling or bore.

Ghettogun said:

come on, now!! You surely know good and well one has to face North and align stripes north/south. It's not as simple as you make it out to be. :nono:

Back