• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch knife and lubing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For those who use a patch knife no pre cut patches. Do you use lube or spit.? If lube it seems like a big mess to lube then start the ball and then cut the patch. Are your straps of patch pre lubed at home? Silly ???I know

I lube with this
Bag (2).jpg
,filled with MAP, then place the lubed section of patch material over the muzzle. Slightly start the ball then cut. Simple.

I gave up on cutting at the muzzle a few years back. I just cut square patches from my strips with scissors. Either way is fine and I just use -0° windshield washer fluid in a squirt bottle for lube. Spritz the patch then load. I’ve found no difference in accuracy using pre cut patches vs cutting at the muzzle.

For those who use a patch knife no pre cut patches. Do you use lube or spit.? If lube it seems like a big mess to lube then start the ball and then cut the patch. Are your straps of patch pre lubed at home? Silly ???I know
For the most part, I will use a water-soluble lube that I apply just before starting the patched ball. I have a small wide mouthed bottle of my 1 part water soluble oil and 7 parts of water. It is easy to place the patching material over the mouth of the lube bottle, invert it and wipe the excess lube of as I pull the patching away from the bottle. No mess. For woods walks, I will use spit to lubricate the patch. I have a small tin filled with a mix of 1 part bee's wax to 4 parts of olive oil to lubricate my hunting patches. I don't have any mess when loading.

Both. I first used spit (end of tick strip in mouth while measuring and dumping powder). Lately I have been playing with 1:5 Ballistol:Water soaked/dried strips. I roll the strips up and keep them in old film canisters until I get to the range and tie one end on my pouch strap. Have not noticed any difference in shooting. But then in smoothbores on our kinda close Woods Walk I wouldn’t anyway. I do prefer the prelubed for not having to put stuff in my mouth, but it is nice to know I can go old school anytime and do well.

I use either spit, or Frontier's bear oil lube, and cut at the muzzle. I prelube the Frontier's at home, and the only mess is having to wipe the knife blade after a shooting session. Most of the time I just use spit.

Back