• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre paper wrapped shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure this has been done and someone knows how to do it. My search did not reveal any information. I would like to expedite reloading somewhat when I am shooting doves. Can I wrap shot in paper and just push it down the barrel on top of a card or cushion wad with powder underneath it? If so, do I need an overshot card wad? I thought of using a dime roll cut to size. Would that paper work? Do I lube the paper?

Right now I have the whole load in a cigar tube with a hole in the end that the ramrod fits into. Open the cap, pour powder and push the whole shebang out of the cigar tube into the barrel. This works but I am wanting to try something new and carry something less bulky.

I am thinking about paper wrapping a powder charge and wad combo that I prefer. Rip the end, pour powder and push it out of the paper roll with my thumb. Then step 2 would be the shot as I envision it.

You help, information and advice is appreciated!

I was happy doing it with newspaper until a wet day came along. (Use our paper cutter to cut long strips of newspaper, wrap them around a 5/8" dowel and use kids' paste to glue a tube. Cut to length, tie off one end with cotton twine, fill and tie off the other end. Pretty quick and easy.)

Didn't seem to hurt (or help) the pattern and it certainly made for easy loading. I had to scratch it off the list for duck hunting, but you remind me that I need to get back into it for ptarmigan. We hunt them in fine weather and the limit is 20/day, so lots of shooting after breaking up coveys.

EDIT: One down side to watch for. With your lubed wad encased, you're getting basically no lube on the bore and fouling builds quickly. You just about have to swab after every shot to ease loading.

Last edited:
I am sure this has been done and someone knows how to do it. My search did not reveal any information. I would like to expedite reloading somewhat when I am shooting doves. Can I wrap shot in paper and just push it down the barrel on top of a card or cushion wad with powder underneath it? If so, do I need an overshot card wad? I thought of using a dime roll cut to size. Would that paper work? Do I lube the paper?

Right now I have the whole load in a cigar tube with a hole in the end that the ramrod fits into. Open the cap, pour powder and push the whole shebang out of the cigar tube into the barrel. This works but I am wanting to try something new and carry something less bulky.

I am thinking about paper wrapping a powder charge and wad combo that I prefer. Rip the end, pour powder and push it out of the paper roll with my thumb. Then step 2 would be the shot as I envision it.

See https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/shot-cup-for-20-ga-1-1-2-oz-load.113541/ Post #8 for my method.

A paper wrapped cartridge would work. Dime rolls use heavy paper and unless you slit the sides, the dime wraps hold together making the shot charge a slug of shot.

Wraps can be made of thin onion skin paper to heavier 20 pound computer paper. The heavier paper, the tighter the pattern. An overshot card will ensure the shot cartridge is held in place. Perhaps a well lubricated felt wad, akin to a Skychief load is worth trying on the pattern board.

I would like to expedite reloading somewhat when I am shooting doves. Can I wrap shot in paper and just push it down the barrel on top of a card or cushion wad with powder underneath it?

I've been doing it for years. If you really want an expedited reload, you make a paper cartridge out of book paper. You buy a book from the dollar store or a used book from the library, hardbacks that are not so old that the paper has yellowed are the best. Make a standard musket cartridge, and load it with your powder. You simply tear and pour, and then crumple up the empty tube to form your wad...and ram.

Your shot you use newsprint, again you make a paper cartridge, but you ram this down whole, unopened. Cap or prime and you're ready to fire again.

If so, do I need an overshot card wad?

Nope.

Now, recently, I have started to discard the used powder cartridge tube, and to use a 1/2" lubed fiber wad, followed by the intact shot cartridge. This seems to work a bit better.

So you have to make a "former" a wooden dowel that when the paper is wrapped around it, it just fits inside the barrel, without damaging the paper, and go from there.

I like 80 grains of 2Fg, and one ounce of shot. For Doves = #8 for Pheasants = #6 and for Squirrels = #4..

LD

I use paper from phone books or an old Hemmings Motor News. I roll the paper into a tube via a dowel as mentioned above, then fold one end over a couple times and glue with a kid's glue stick. Fill with 70 grains of 2fg, then fold the middle over and glue again forming another chamber for the shot. Then simple fold over the shot and glue shut. When it comes time to load, simply tear one end off, pour powder, tear some of the paper from the empty powder section to use as wadding over the powder. then tear the other end, pour shot, then do the same over the shot. Works , and no lube used.

I was thinking of also trying to make separate tubes one for shot, one for powder, then tear and pour powder, and use the paper same as above, but now insert the entire paper shot tube and ram home. I'm going to try this method this year when I work up some loads for turkey hunting. If it works, then that will be my new go to method of loading.

I like using phone book paper because its so thin that it does not affect the pattern at all, unlike those heavy fiber wads that have been known to cause holes in the pattern.

Grocery bag paper (big size) works perfectly for me, (for turkey loads) and the brown color has a old-timey look to it. You can increase or decrease the number of wraps to get the patterns you want. If you want/need a thinner paper use lunch-bag paper bag. (for grouse/quail/dove loads) Newspaper, and book paper all seems too thin and delicate to me, but to each his own.

For powder I make "cartridges" out of the lunch-bag paper bag. Take out "cartridge", bite (or tear) off end, pour in powder. (optional: stuff paper down bore for wadding) Take out shot "cartridge", ram down, prime and fire. Also you can put your wads in the shot cartridge. That's a fast reload. In reality, I usually put a wonder wad or two over the powder, and then ram the shot cartridge down. One could dip the base of the shot cartridge in hot wax I suppose, to get some lubrication when ramming down the barrel. I think that if you lubed the paper, or the wad inside, the cartridge would eventually deteriorate, but for a single hunt that probably would not be an issue. From what I can tell, mineral oil does not seem to deteriorate paper. ?? At least on typing/computer, or lunch bag paper. But I don't really know. Seems like newspaper, or book-page paper would fall apart pretty fast with anything on it. ??

You DO NOT have to open the end of the shot cartridge when loading. The paper will disintegrate on firing, and I challenge you to even find any trace of it after firing. Just ram the whole darn thing down the barrel. Okay, that works for me.

I've killed two turks with this loading...one at pretty fair range. Good luck!

The paper will disintegrate on firing, and I challenge you to even find any trace of it after firing.
Well, if you don't use a properly fitted wad and just use the crushed paper, or not enough tow, or you forget and put the newsprint shot cartridge on bare powder, you can find the remnants smoldering in the grass by following the wisps of smoke. :confused:

LD

Truth. Some of my first tries resulted in smoldering paper on the ground. But not no more. :)

Post-It note paper works well.
Do not make more than about one complete wrap, or maybe one and three-quarters of a wrap. Reinforce with some glue if necessary. Fold over both ends and glue them too.
Make tube well undersize so that when the powder explodes, the paper tube splits open as it compresses in the bore and ruptures.

Use lubed cusion wad below the shot tube,mand thin card wad over shot tube. Sometimes if I know I am going to be shooting again immediately, I will omit the overshot wad.

Latest posts

Back