• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Experiments with paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have had great success making, loading and shooting paper cartridges in all my BP revolvers. I’m curious if any forum member has ever experimented making a similar type paper cartridge for a single shot flint or percussion pistol? Not to be confused with the civil war type paper cartridges made for rifles or muskets where you bite off the end of the paper cartridge, pour the powder down the barrel and ram the bullet down the barrel. More like making a revolver type paper cartridge and ramming it down a single shot pistol. I’m thinking that it would possibly work on a smooth bore pistol but may require a next smaller sized ball in a rifled barrel. Any comments?

I understand your question. I’m interested in the Civil War type. I was wondering if you knew what paper they used in the CW type? I’m referring to the one that was used to make the bullet tighter. I have to think it was strong enough for the job. Any ideas?

I understand your question. I’m interested in the Civil War type. I was wondering if you knew what paper they used in the CW type? I’m referring to the one that was used to make the bullet tighter. I have to think it was strong enough for the job. Any ideas?

I gave up the idea of making a paper cartridge similar to a revolver for a single shot pistol and I came across an excellent way to make a paper cartridge like what was used for civil war rifles.
I was able to find an answer to shooting paper cartridges in a single shot pistol from Mike Beliveau's video. What he did was scale down a larger rifle caliber to make the paper cartridge pattern for a pistol. This worked in my .50 cal. Kentucky rifled barrel pistol using the same .457 ball that he used. Instead of cardboard, I made the paper cartridge pattern out of a 1/8" thick plywood sheet. Also, below is a link to the paper I used that works perfectly and available in a small size roll from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Watch the whole video.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trimaco-12-in-x-180-ft-Craft-Masking-Paper/3051193

Last edited:
I think it would depend on the chamber design of the single shot.

Paper Cap N Ball cartridges work well because the flammable paper is directly in front of the flash channel.

A single shot breech design that forces the flame through a nipple hole then left then right then through a chamber then through another hole before the flame hits the paper probably won't work very well.

I gave up the idea of making a paper cartridge similar to a revolver for a single shot pistol and I came across an excellent way to make a paper cartridge like what was used for civil war rifles.
I was able to find an answer to shooting paper cartridges in a single shot pistol from Mike Beliveau's video. What he did was scale down a larger rifle caliber to make the paper cartridge pattern for a pistol. This worked in my .50 cal. Kentucky rifled barrel pistol using the same .457 ball that he used. Instead of cardboard, I made the paper cartridge pattern out of a 1/8" thick plywood sheet. Also, below is a link to the paper I used that works perfectly and available in a small size roll from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Watch the whole video.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trimaco-12-in-x-180-ft-Craft-Masking-Paper/3051193

Interesting. Thanks, I have something to ponder now.

I think it would depend on the chamber design of the single shot.

Paper Cap N Ball cartridges work well because the flammable paper is directly in front of the flash channel.

A single shot breech design that forces the flame through a nipple hole then left then right then through a chamber then through another hole before the flame hits the paper probably won't work very well.

If you'll notice in the video, Mike pours the powder down the barrel first followed by the ball and the paper acting as a wad just like civil war rifles. I have shot several paper cartridges per Mike's design and have no misfires in my CVA Kentucky .50 cal. percussion pistol. Additionally, I was surprised of the accuracy of using the .457 ball in hitting a target as was with Mike's smooth bore..

Last edited:
I got into making these. The one thing Id like to share is I use a powder drop for BPC :-O, so I tired it on my revolver paper carts.
A few days ago I started on a new batch of 50. I did the first one by hand it looks baggy and shorter than the other ones. Im sticking worth the drop, it compacts the powder really nice.
20231126_183505.jpg

A couple of scrap pieces of wood, and a long brass tube I had to drive to the big city to get for $30. The plastic shield at the bottom stops the powder from ricocheting out.

That darn can has been kicking around for years. Always in the way

Latest posts

Back