• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre-cut patches, or cutting patches at the muzzle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost the sight in one eye, so I have no depth perception. Maybe that's why I have a hard time centering the patch. It looks right until I start to push it in, and it's always off.

Cutting at the muzzle saves me from getting frustrated with myself.

Besides.....I like cutting stuff. :grin:

Good points, tj, and I agree with a couple of minor exceptions.

Greenjoytj said:
I have read that cutting the patch at the muzzle will make perfectly round patches. I don't belive that.
Perfectly round- you may be right.Maybe it would be better stated "cutting a patch at the muzzle will make a round patch, perfectly centered on the ball."

But their can be no denying that there is always a little more patch material bunched up to one side or the other.
I get that more if my precuts are off centered. But thinking about it, I'm not sure if it is just more noticible on the high side of the patch or if it really is bunched significantly more there.

Dan

No, you won't get a round patch by cutting at the muzzle. A flat cannot be formed into a half sphere without wrinkling and folding. Recovered patches are more like a square with rounded corners. But I wouldn't carry those in a patchbox either. :haha:

CoyoteJoe said:
No, you won't get a round patch by cutting at the muzzle. A flat cannot be formed into a half sphere without wrinkling and folding. Recovered patches are more like a square with rounded corners. But I wouldn't carry those in a patchbox either. :haha:
You're gonna make me work for this, aren'cha?

OK, so "cutting a patch at the muzzle will make a rounded patch, perfectly centered on the ball." :bow:

Dan

Semisane said:
I've always thought that cutting at the muzzle involved a bit more fiddling than centering a pre-cut :wink: and just don't see centering the ball as a big deal. To each his own. Ain't freedom great!

I fully agree, and it does, and it isn't. The people that believe a ball needs to be perfectly centered in the patch, are the same types that believe a BP load needs to be weighed for maximum accuracy, and more patch material is wasted in cutting at muzzle. You have to have enough to grip when you cut. When patches are pre-cut out of of a piece of material, there is less waste, whether round or square.

You like to put people in neat little groups huh?

I cut at the muzzle, and don't feel loads need to be weighed.

Capper said:
I use both methods, depending on my needs or wants at the time. I weigh my balls, just measure my powder.

Dan

CoyoteJoe said:
20 ga., .600" ball, .018" prelubed ticking strip:

loadingJ.jpg

CarolinaPatch2.jpg

And square balls, obviously. :haha:

Spence

Capper said:
:grin: Sharpen that knife.

Naaah. Those fuzzies don't hurt anything. As long as the knife is sharp enough to feed myself with, I'm happy. :grin:

lunch11.jpg

Spence

DanC said:
Capper said:
I use both methods, depending on my needs or wants at the time. I weigh my balls, just measure my powder.

Dan

I am just saying that there is no difference in accuracy between the two methods. I cut at the muzzle any time I run out of pre-cuts and want to keep shooting. I don't quite understand how a pre-cut patch slips off one side of the ball when it is loaded. It sounds as if the patch was too small for the ball, if that happens.

Cutting at the muzzle is only more accurate if you don't center the precut patch, but cutting at the muzzle is always centered.

I don't think those of us who cut at the muzzle do it because it's more accurate.

I don't anyway. I do it because I find it easier, and I like doing it.

Hard to understand?

Capper said:
Cutting at the muzzle is only more accurate if you don't center the precut patch, but cutting at the muzzle is always centered.

I don't think those of us who cut at the muzzle do it because it's more accurate.

I don't anyway. I do it because I find it easier, and I like doing it.

Hard to understand?

Nope, Nobody cares!
The OP said BACK IN THE DAY not what Capper does!!!!!

Think about it fellas!
It was a different, and dangerous time to be a white man in this place.
If your scalp was on the line would you fumble with a roll of patches and a knife?
Not me either! And i bet they were kept in the pouch instead of the patchbox for easy access.
Maybe they precut in the east around the safety of the colonies where a quick follow up is not needed to save your life.
That's the way i see it. :idunno:

After examining George's recoverd patches closely, I think everyone will agree that the only way to properly patch a round ball is to use slightly over size SQUARE patches.
But always remember to use sharp scissors to quickly nip off the 4 tall standing patch corners.

Or use pre-cut patches, cut to an octagonal shape, like a stop sign.

Don't worry if the pre-cut patches squirm slightly off center(that is natural and can't be helped) as long as the ball's waist is fully patched around its circumference it will shoot perfectly.

If you want, you can scissor trim off the little bit on the high standing side of the patch at the muzzle.
Which will satisfy even the most ardent of the at the muzzle trimming aficionados.

Also, to produce a patch the has a edge that won't fray out.
Dip just 1/16" of the edge of the square or octagonal precut patchs into a dilute solution of archers fletchtite glue and acetone.

When this flexable glue dries it will produce a patch with a edge that will flex but won't fray.
You will then be able to police up and reuse your patches, which should satisfiy the California proposition.54 outlawing patches so they won't get waist deep in use patches.
:wink: :grin:

"The OP said BACK IN THE DAY not what Capper does!!!!!"

excellant point so very often a post is made trhat is based on what was done or used in the past and half the replies are of the "I do it because" or "this is a better way" I would suggest that with history/period driven questions that those with nothing of that nature to add should just read and maybe learn, rather than adding comments that are not relevant to the original question.

"But always remember to use sharp scissors to quickly nip off the 4 tall standing patch corners:

Huh!..hopefully a joke....definately a joke whether intended to be or not.

Yep, I tried to point it out yesterday, but the anti-historical crowd just continued their derailment of the thread. Just like they do with any thread with even a suggestion of historical correctness.

Really, if you don't care about the historical aspect, and are only looking for the easiest way to accomplish the goal, why do you bother with MLs at all?

CoyoteJoe said:
No, you won't get a round patch by cutting at the muzzle. A flat cannot be formed into a half sphere without wrinkling and folding. Recovered patches are more like a square with rounded corners.
Correct. Here's a patch cut in a loading block. Square, with rounded corners. (missing a few threads, due to handling)

CutPatch.jpg

I don't understand your comment about "hijacking the thread.As I read the original question it was asking about our opinion of how patching material was handled back when.I answered I don't know and after 3 pages still don't.Obviously the question brought out personal preferences rather than anything factual,likely because there isn't any factual data.A rather common occurence when dealing with anything that happened sometime ago.Written word is not an infallible source for fact.It is almost impossible to discuss anything absolutely clean of any personal bias.I make no pretense of being HC or PC,but I respect those who do and I expect the same courtesy in return.Why do I shoot traditional muzzleloaders you ask?Its because I want to!!!!!!

On a more important note, what did the old boys use in place of toilet paper "back in the day"? If they used plants, exactly which ones? I assume the plants used were different for different parts of the country. What did they use in the desert???? :wink: :haha: :haha:

Back