• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Square patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Gregory

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone ever pre cut square patches and use them instead of cutting at the muzzle or using round patches? Any disadvantages to this?

IMHO square patches give you an uneven seating surface.

Four sides of the ball will have one pressure while the four hypotenuse sides will have more pressure because of the extra material.

And those hypotenuse tag ends may keep the bullet from exiting the muzzle the same way every time. The trick is to not have a giant sail catch the wind as the ball is trying to exit the bore.

A round patch has equal pressure all the way around the ball.

I cut them square almost off but still connected. Pre-lubed in an old meds bottle and tear off as needed.

Attachments

• 20230103_194455.jpg
    20230103_194455.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Actually it really depends on the shape of your barrel.

Round barrels should use round patches, octagonal should octagonal patches and so on.

Square patches from a round bore doesn't make sense, as a square shape obviously doesn't fit in a round hole. Even if you did some how beat that square patch down the bore, it will create uneven pressure and wobble all over the place on it's way out the bore.

Actually it really depends on the shape of your barrel.

Round barrels should use round patches, octagonal should octagonal patches and so on.

Square patches from a round bore doesn't make sense, as a square shape obviously doesn't fit in a round hole. Even if you did some how beat that square patch down the bore, it will create uneven pressure and wobble all over the place on it's way out the bore.
In my hillbilly experience, the recovered "cut at the muzzle" patches seem almost perfect round to me. The outside of the barrel has no influence. All of today's barrel are round on the inside. I repeat, round. How about a hex to round barrel? What type patch woud that require?

Last edited:
In my hillbilly experience, the recovered "cut at the muzzle" patches seem almost perfect round to me. The outside of the barrel has no influence. All of today's barrel are round on the inside. I repeat, round. How about a hex to round barrel? What type patch woud that require?
The pushing daisy patches design was made originally for octo to round barrels.

Back