• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB or Bullet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be hunting here in southern Oklahoma this season with my 50 cal. kentucky rifle. Its shoots both .490 PRB with .015 patch and 320 lee REALS well, just want some opinions on which to take to the field. I also have a 50 cal. kentucky pistol as a sidearm, only shot PRB, same configuration. Dont want to walk up do a down animal without a shot ready to go!

I'm going to be hunting here in southern Oklahoma this season with my 50 cal. kentucky rifle. Its shoots both .490 PRB with .015 patch and 320 lee REALS well, just want some opinions on which to take to the field. I also have a 50 cal. kentucky pistol as a sidearm, only shot PRB, same configuration. Dont want to walk up do a down animal without a shot ready to go!
Whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Mostly the fellows here are round ball shooters so 90% of responses will say, that’s all you need. That’s fine, ball does work and for whitetail deer under a hundred yards a .50 ball is a good choice. Assuming you’re up to it, a bullet from the same gun is going to carry energy further than a ball. If that’s important to you.

Whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Mostly the fellows here are round ball shooters so 90% of responses will say, that’s all you need. That’s fine, ball does work and for whitetail deer under a hundred yards a .50 ball is a good choice. Assuming you’re up to it, a bullet from the same gun is going to carry energy further than a ball. If that’s important to you.
It will carry farther and carry energy especially down range that a ball can't. No matter what you do ball is going to loose energy in short distance. The faster you drive it the quicker it looses velocity,
Howsomever.
Drop becomes a killer after a hundred yards. And ten yard misjudge on the range is a differnce between a heart lung shot and passing under deer
Ball or conical one needs to get close. Folks get lots of kills out to a hundred and fifty yards or more. They know their gun the range and area.
In general a traditional rifle is good for about a hundred yards. And .50 on deer in ball will give you venison
So will a conical
Don’t press your range, and don’t think that you buy safe long range with a superior projectile
And in the end if you choose conical it will be bar b Que or stew.

OK, I'm a PRB shooter/hunter. BUT I will say that a PRB can leave absolutely no blood trail, or buckets full. A conical will usually leave a blood trail, if your pretty good shot and have semi open country PRB cannot be beat. If your hunting in heavy cover a no blood trail hit can ruin yer hunt. Out here I almost always see my large game animal fall. This years cow was different. .54 PRB 70 grains Black MZ and she went 45-50 yards thru short jack pines. ZERO BLOOD, even the entrance hole had no dripping and for the first (maybe second) time ever there was no exit hole. All the others I have seen fall I really paid no attention but I believe there may have been no blood on most. Shot a tiny cous deer few years ago thru the heart with a good pass thru and though he only went 30 yds there was no blood at all.

So that's all the difference really. You pays yo money and yo takes yo choice. BUT EITHER WAY DO NOT FORGET PICTURES. No pictures it never happened.

Depends upon the expected distances, what kind of shots you're liable to be presented with big deer or little deer, what accuracy you have determined you can achieve, climbing or moving around during the hunt...
Whatever best suits your situation in all it's particulars.

I've determined by another thread that the Kentucky in question is probably a pedersoli which should have the twist to handle the conical.

Having used the 50 prb for most of my deer hunting I'd say to just use what you prefer given that both will be effective.

Something I seldom see spoken of is deer hunting with fifty caliber hollow base bullets.
There are some good design molds with off the shelf availability and custom designs too suitable for use with the now pretty much industry standard rifling and 48" twist.

0ne thing to keep in mind, it's not the twist that determines whether you should use prb or conical it's the depth of the rifling. Round ball guns usually have deeper rifling to get a better grip on the patching, bullet shooting barrels have shallower rifling to ease loading. Not to say that either won't work with the other but fast twist shallow rifling is designed for bullets and slower deeper rifling is designed for prb.

How I do things when hunting, I load with a PRB, but I keep 275gr TC Maxi Hunters for reloading as the conical loads faster than the ball and once I take that first shot I have just enough fouling in the barrel to hold the conical a bit better and my conical load out doesn't do well with the first shot. But that second shot, the conical with just a tad more powder than my PRB round is just as accurate as my PRB load.

Now I won't shoot those 320 gr REAL bullets. Anymore. I have to put 110 grains of powder in my rifle to get a good group with them and that much powder and bullet smacks the snot out of me.

Latest posts

Back