• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder ?? Thompson Center Hawken 50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black horn 209 won't work in a sidehammer gun with # 11 caps.
You wouldn't get a high enough temperature to ignite it.
Real black, triple 7 or pyrodex. Real black powder is best if you can get it.

I’ve begun weighing charges of 2 and 3f Swiss for use in bullet shooting .45 and .50 caliber muzzleloaders. I weigh my bullets too now. Every bullet weighs within 3 grains of every other. So far I like the results and feel the slight effort is worth it. I’ll know more come spring when a fellow can shoot without freezing to death...
I have learned when weighing balls to use a percentage of the target weight, at least for me 1% has been a very good guide.
Using a set number - like 3 - will mean a radical change in very small balls and a negligent amount (and an unreasonable goal) for very heavy balls and especially conicals.
.36 ball - 70 gr - 1% is .7 gr - 3 gr is 4.28%
.735 ball - 598 gr - 1% is 7.35 gr and 3 gr is .5 %
Weighing a known powder for a specific purpose has many merits - just don't weigh powder for the purpose of comparing real black to (shudder) those synthetic chemical atrocities.

I have learned when weighing balls to use a percentage of the target weight, at least for me 1% has been a very good guide.
Using a set number - like 3 - will mean a radical change in very small balls and a negligent amount (and an unreasonable goal) for very heavy balls and especially conicals.
.36 ball - 70 gr - 1% is .7 gr - 3 gr is 4.28%
.735 ball - 598 gr - 1% is 7.35 gr and 3 gr is .5 %
Weighing a known powder for a specific purpose has many merits - just don't weigh powder for the purpose of comparing real black to (shudder) those synthetic chemical atrocities.
I should have mentioned that these are bullets weighing, in my case, between 340 and 600 grains. I’m weighing the powder only as a means of achieving greater consistency.

If your looking for real black powder at a local store you may find that it's hard to find.
The store must keep real black powder locked up in a Federally approved storage box so it won't be out on a shelf with the other powders.
When asking about it, it's a good idea to talk to the store owner or manager. Often, a store clerk won't even know they have it because it's locked up where they can't see it.
Also beware. Store clerks don't know the difference between real black powder and the synthetic muzzleloading powders. More than a few times a unknowing clerk will sell powders like Pyrodex, 777 or BlackMag to a unsuspecting customer.

Zonnie nailed it. I have had to ask about real black powder at places like Cabela's. they sometimes do and don't have it stored in a magazine in the stock room. I have gotten that deer in the headlights look from gun store employees when asking about real BP.
I usually buy mine online now. The only issue is shipping/the haz mat fee. If you have a friend/friends that shoot BP go together and buy because you only pay the fee based on per shipment.

Zonnie nailed it. I have had to ask about real black powder at places like Cabela's. they sometimes do and don't have it stored in a magazine in the stock room. I have gotten that deer in the headlights look from gun store employees when asking about real BP.
I usually buy mine online now. The only issue is shipping/the haz mat fee. If you have a friend/friends that shoot BP go together and buy because you only pay the fee based on per shipment.
Right you are. :)
If a group of people all want to buy some black powder so they only have to pay for one Haz Mat fee for shipping, it is totally legal for one person to collect the money and then to order all of it at the same time.
By doing this, the person who buys the powder is not, "selling" the powder and breaking a Federal law.
Instead, he is acting as an, "Agent" for all of the people involved in the buy.
As an "agent", when the powder arrives he must give each person the amount of powder they pay'd for.

This sort of thing only works if the money is collected before the powder is ordered. If a Johnny come lately comes along, he can't pay for powder after the order is made on that transaction.

The only place I can find that carries Goex or Swiss is Track of the Wolf and they require a 25lb minimum order, I certainly don't need that much. Rifle is also a 50 cal TC.

I just bought some from Buffalo Arms, they offer a 10lb discount, after Hazmat fee, it was cheaper than here locally. It appears they have some instock yet.

I just looked at Grafs a couple of days ago and then have their brand powder in stock and some of Goex and maybe others. Can't remember for sure.

I guess the old saying black powder is measured by volume not weight.
does not apply to flat landers, with firearms some of us do not acknowledge.

Flintlocks are rarely ones first rifle, but they are your last rifle.

Back