• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a mess of black powder for shotgun and musket, any way this can work in my lyman percussion 54 cal ?
this stuff is really coarse grain, guy has about 60 pounds I can get.

It doesnt say on the can, just shotgun, muzzle powder, No. 2850, Austin powder company.

I dont think its gonna work, I just tried some, no bang, I sprinkled some ffg in the nipple, then it went bang, did this 4 times, each time I had to prime with ffg to set it off, I guess thats the nature of the shotgun powder in a percussion gun, I used magnum primers too. Bummer its only 4 bucks a pound too, wish it woulda worked

Made in cleveland, ohio,.just checked, it has a logo that says , USED in 1833 & ever since....lol, also at the bottom it says, Curtis & Harvey, this guy opened his shop in 1966, so there is no telling when he got it, I know he has at least 60 more cans, thats about all the label says, besides be carefull, its a white label with a red strip that has DANGER EXPLOSIVE
UPDATE EDIT<
Thats the company in the link you sent. same logo label.

A lot of it was used back in the 70's after the DuPont plant ignited....wasn't the best powder, but it worked well enough that a lot of folks bought it. Sounds like you are describing 1f or cannon powder to me....Of course us flint shooters could most likely use it by priming with 4f or whatever.

If you decide you don't want it. give me a holler off line and I can use it in a friends cannon. [email protected]

Latest posts

Back