• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles bag from buck skin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG6018

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have accumulated several buckskins over the years with the intent of making a buckskin outfit. I'm too old now for buckskins and sleeping on the ground!

Can buckskin be used successfully for making hunting bags, or is it too thin? I have a son, a grandson, and a grand-daughter primed to hunt with Pap this season, and I would like to make bags for them for Christmas.

I'm retired, and need a project. Is buckskin worthy of the time needed to construct a bag? I've never made one. :surrender:

I'd be inclined to line it for a little stiffening because it's so soft, but I can't see any real problems with it. I'm working right now with a side of Tandy's Deertand leather, and though thicker than I imagine your bucksin to be, it's still really soft. On the last one I made I doubled the leather in the flap for a little extra weight and stiffness and doubled the leather carry strap to take out some of the stretch. Works for me.

On a side note, I gotta say that for hunting I greatly prefer the softer leathers. Harder leathers tend to make noise if they slap your leg or scrape through the brush, while a soft bag is quiet.

I'm retired too, and I can sure recommend the bag making. Acourse you only got a few skins to work with, so you better be looking for another leather source. Might be wanting to find more folks to give bags, too. They do tend to accumulate!

Good luck on your project. I think you're going to have a ball.

I agree with at least lining it if it is as thin as the stuff I have. One thing you might want to think about, I haven't tried it myself yet but plan to at some point, glueing two pieces together with Barge. This will give you two finished sides and make a thin piece much stronger.

I'm making one right now from buckskin and it's coming out rather nice. I'll try to post a pic tomarrow when I get home from work. Where are you in PA. I'm in the Harrisburg area. If you need any help let me know.

I agree Swampy. I've been happy with results gluing layers of the Deertand, and if the buckskin seems too thin, it should work great.

You're naver too old to go to ground. You simply have to be more creative. I use a Panther Primitive lean to that has a sack that can be filled with straw, leaves, etc. I'm 68 and still able to sleep like a baby. Sorry I did not answer your question regarding "buckskin". I agree with the lining concept. Needs some extra support.

Swamp Rat said:
I agree with at least lining it if it is as thin as the stuff I have. One thing you might want to think about, I haven't tried it myself yet but plan to at some point, glueing two pieces together with Barge. This will give you two finished sides and make a thin piece much stronger.

swampy that is what i do with thiner leather works relay well.
bernie :thumbsup:

the second bag i ever made was from buckskin
it was large, never lost anything out of it, very little noise if any when hunting
you have the materials, go for it
you can always make stiffer ones later
great to pass on and start those grandchildren with imo
Chris

I greatly appreciate all your responses. The suggestions about lining the bag for strength certainly makes good sense, as well as backing two pieces of hide together. I live just east of Reading, and appreciate the offer of help.

I bought T.C. Albert's book last week at Dixon's, and it seemed his bags were generally made of tougher stuff than buckskin. All,your suggestions for using deer hides has reassured me that it's a workable idea.

The information available on this Forum never ceases to amaze me. Thanks one and all for your help. :hatsoff:

P.S. I did the re-enactment thing for several years, and finally decided enough was enough. The bladder of an old man and tent camping don't go hand in hand(no pun intended). :thumbsup:

You know, making a first bag or two out of deerskin is probably a great thing. I've been working with Deertand lately, but yesterday I got posessed (probably by the devil) to make a belt pouch from the remains of an 8 oz side I bought long ago. Gotter dunn, but that thing just about ate me alive. I'd hate to have been using such heavy leather for a first build.

The soft, thin deerhide is going to be easy to work with, and that's a real good thing. You can most likely sew it without even resorting to an awl or a punch. Your biggest problem may be stretching if you try to cut the hide with a blade, but it'll cut fine and straight with a good pair of scissors or shears.

I bought one of those roller cutting wheels at the local Chinamart & a cheap cutting board for it. It worked great on some leather I used to make my mocs out of. I think it was around 4 or 5 oz. chap leather. It saved some time & made a nice smooth cut as well. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's what I use too, though I think I got mine from Tandy. It's great for straight cuts so long is the wheel is really sharp and doesn't push the leather any. I've used it on chap leather and on some 2 oz stuff about half as thick as chap. For curve cuts and tight corners, it won't do, though.

Most all the commercially available deer hides are does. Doe is thinner. The best deer hide is from a buck and it has to be brain tanned and hand woked by a knowledgeable craftsman. When you cut for the bags you cut neck to rump to reduce stretch.

Back