• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Well, a comedy of errors---but I learned a bit about shotgun muzzleloading :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a fascinating thread. Thank you for posting such thorough documentation of the process. I've never really found smooth-bore fowlers interesting. But as I've become more and more excited about SxS unmentionables, this flintlock double is increasingly fascinating. Not being a bird hunter (I pretty much only shoot clays), I'm not sure if a flintlock double is a good fit for me (speed of loading for a clays course or trap range might be an issue!), but it's really neat to read about. Thanks!

This is a fascinating thread. Thank you for posting such thorough documentation of the process. I've never really found smooth-bore fowlers interesting. But as I've become more and more excited about SxS unmentionables, this flintlock double is increasingly fascinating. Not being a bird hunter (I pretty much only shoot clays), I'm not sure if a flintlock double is a good fit for me (speed of loading for a clays course or trap range might be an issue!), but it's really neat to read about. Thanks!
It’s on my bucket list to shoot an entire sporting clays course with a muzzleloader. Prediction - Olympic sport.

Well if you’re going to twist my arm and make me post pics of my buddy, sure! He's a pointing lab from Lankas Labs in Kansas. Mike and his wife run a great business and has always been responsive, helpful and is extremely experienced with gun dogs. Since this is my first, I have nothing to compare to but my other dogs in my life (we had a golden for 15 years, pound rescues before that)---I'll just say our new buddy is extremely trainable and Lankas seems to turn out some smart dogs. Housebroke @ 9 weeks, fetched/retrieved naturally (well he is a lab), already quarters and responds to hand signals, woahs, recalls, etc. He just soaks up lessons, brightest dog I've ever been around. My wife would say you made a mistake asking about our new son! :)

When I first got him
View attachment 114196

Compared to today
View attachment 114197
View attachment 114200

Funny pic my wife got. Naturally, he loves the smells on any of my hunting boots. First month we got him, she forgot to close latch our barn door entrance to the walk in, she heard it slide open and him scuttle down the hallway from our bedroom. She walked in and said "What are you doing!" and he froze like this. She yanked out her camera and we had a good laugh:
View attachment 114198

His first point on a pheasant wing. Didn't raise his foot yet but he goes rigid and tail goes out--this was about 10 weeks:
View attachment 114199

I work from home a lot (healthcare admin/analytics), so I'll be working and hear him whine. when I turn around, half the time he's assumed the position and waiting for a belly rub:
View attachment 114201

And one of his favorite past times, next to chewing, chewing, chewing and chasing bird feathers/bumpers:

View attachment 114202

We are at 13 weeks. My first experience training a gundog, going off the Knutson Training the Pointing lab bible. We reliably fetch, find hidden bumpers with quail/pheasant wings in deep grass, return to call and woah. I introduced birds (quail) one weekend to see prey drive--and he was all over the birds and popcorned around the yard after--so we are good to go there. I'm lucky to live in the country with him, we have a big pasture with deep dried up grass/clover, so it's a good training ground/walk to get there and back.

I'll wait until he's past his 4 month fear phase, then @ 5 months start introducing some loud sounds during fetch/hunting walks--and slowly start bringing the noise up to .22 blanks at a distance, .22 blanks closer, etc. etc. Luckily, I have a lot of shooters in the 'country neighborhood', so we've had distant gunshots go off quite a bit during our hunting walks and he doesn't seem to care/notice---and some of them have been the sharp staccato of an AR so I hope we'll be good when introducing the gun down the road. No e-collar yet, figure I'll wait until 6 months or when his teenager phase starts--he's good on obedience for now.

Ok I'll shut up! :)
Just me but after over a dozen German shorthairs and 6 labs and making most of the mistakes I work on sit, come, stay and heel during the first year with a new pup and little else because I want them to have fun and get the play while they are young. I have been fortunate in that I have a already finished dog to hunt with and most of all to help train the puppy. It's amazing how much easier it is to teach the pup when they are jealous of the fun and fuss the old dog gets to have.

Latest posts

Back