• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Single trigger to double set trigger question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I won a semi custom flinter that has a single trigger.
I am wondering if I could change that over to a double set trigger and if so, what kind of “bumps in the road “ could I face?

I have built a few ToW guns from kits and have many of the right tools. Just cautious.
Maybe it is not even feasible.

Thank you ahead of time for any insight you share!

If the single trigger has a reasonable pull weight, 3 - 4 lbs or so, I'd say stay with that. Before you go to the trouble of converting get used to the single. You may need to have some one tune it up unless you know how to do it yourself.

I suspect much would depend on the trigger plate footprint and if its practical to position the set trigger for optimal alignment. What is it about the single trigger that cause dissatisfaction? I have some of each type and have to say that for cold weather hunting when gloves are needed, I prefer the single.

I suspect much would depend on the trigger plate footprint and if its practical to position the set trigger for optimal alignment. What is it about the single trigger that cause dissatisfaction? I have some of each type and have to say that for cold weather hunting when gloves are needed, I prefer the single.
I don’t have a real problem with single triggers, I have one on my fusil I built also. I do have a double set on a Santa Fe Hawken (ToW kit from the mid 80’s)
It seems at my advanced age (67) when I shoot targets, as I aim and prep to shoot, I am not steady for as long as it takes me to squeeze off a shot. Get the shakes or unsteady.

I miss the days when I could hold steady for a relatively long period and have fellow shooters say “wow, you didn’t even wiggle “. Ha-ego !

When I won this gun a year ago, it seemed to have a decent trigger pull - no creep and maybe around 4 lbs- but I really noticed it last week as being harder to pull. Maybe 6 or 7 lbs. I’ll have to check with a scale. The lock is lightening fast still.

Maybe I just need to lift weights!😉

Will a double set trigger fit in the guard?

My first thought too.

Is it a simple hinged trigger on a pin through the stock, or, an "assembly" that mounts on the bottom? DST's can take up more vertical room than simple hinged triggers. So yeah, you can probably do it if you have the room, but as Rich suggests, you might need to get and inlet another trigger guard too. Another option might be a double action single set trigger, or a plain single set trigger.

Several things to consider.
Width of original plate.
If triggers will fit inside the guard IN THE RIGHT POSITION.
If you have the depth between the bottom of the stock and the sear.
Lock has a fly in the tumbler.

In addition, you’ll probably have to modify the plate of the sett trigger as well.

Back