• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pondering my first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My buddy at church just offered me his CVA flintlock. He told me what the model was but I forget.. maybe a frontiersman?? Anyway, the layout is very similar to my T/C New Englander, except its a flinter.

The gun looks good for it's age. I was thinking about trading him my New Englander for it, but the CapLock is my primary hunting arm, so I am inclined to keep it. (especially, for what I consider a very good price) Plus, I think that my T/C may be worth more than the CVA.

He wants to go back to a caplock and I want to try a Flinter. I know that I may have to replace the lock with a better one, I am ok with that.

Anyway, my purpose for this question is...Are there any caveats with CVA flinter? Have any of you had good experiences with these flintlocks?

If I get it, should I limit the load to say 80 gr? I have heard some negatives about the quality of older CVA rifles. But I am not 100% sure if the concerns are valid.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

I don't think I would trade your Thompson Center for the CVA. :youcrazy: The cost of a good replacement lock might be more than the CVA is worth. I've only handled and fired a few flint CVA's and wasn't impressed. I don't know about the new versions of the flint model. :idunno:

I love my New Englander and even though I haven't shot it in a while, I wouldn't part with it.

And I sure as heck wouldn't trade it for a CVA. I've owned a couple CVA's and there's no way I would trade a T/C for one.

I always say CVA is/was to muzzle loading, what LEE is to reloading. They're responsible for getting more people into muzzle loading than any other single company. And they're responsible for scaring more people away from muzzle loading than any other single company.
:wink:

I have heard quite a few complaints on CVA flintlock rifles. Your friend wanting to go back to a percussion might be an indication that his rifle isn't performing as it should. Your TC New Englander is a quality rifle. If I were you I would ask to shoot the CVA before buying but I wouldn't trade rifle for rifle.

T.C for CVA? Sounds like "new lamps for old". CVA's are not near the quality of T.C.. Plus while their cap guns can be reworked to reasonable lock performance and their barrels (The Jugar and after ) are good. I have had nothing but troubles with CVA and Tradition flint locks (Same Spanish builder ). If you are serious about a CVA flint just add in the cost of a replacement lock.! :idunno: :idunno:

Thanks everyone. My New Englander is reliable and it is a tack driver. He offered me the CVA for 150$. He is going to let me shoot it first so I am going to give it a test run and probably buy it from him.

Lol. That will make 4 traditional muzzleloaders in the house. Well 3 and a tc gray hawk with a plastic stock. They tend to reproduce huh.

Thanks

If you are going to get a Flint Lock I would try to find a TC Flint Lock not CVA.
I bought one off Gunbroker (I think it was or maybe it was Auction Arms) after a few posts "Round Ball"
a forum member helped by telling/showing me the difference from the old style and the new style Lock.
I also would not buy one with the recessed muzzle I think it is called QAL.
It was made for Conicals and Sabot's not good for round balls.
I bought a coning tool from another forum member now I can push the patched ball flush down the muzzle
with my thumb and don't need a short starter.

I have had several CVA muzzleloader rifles they are not the quality of a TC. IMHO

I am inclined to go with what Swede said. I would save the $150.00 and put it toward a T/C, if you have your heart set on a flintlock. :thumbsup:

Take a look at the for sale section on the forum. You might find just what you're looking for.

Have to concur with all the other fellows...CVA is not even in the same ballpark let alone league the TC is in.

It's just not economic sense to trade a TC for a CVA or Traditions anything. If you consider replacing the CVA lock you have $150 (gun) plus $140 (lock) is $290. You can buy a used flint TC outright for that money. Keeping your New Englander to boot. :thumbsup:
A statement, made earlier, about the QLA barrel is not true. They work fine. :wink:

ebiggs said:
A statement, made earlier, about the QLA barrel is not true. They work fine. :wink:

I will disagree with you on the QLA.
It does not work well with a patch and round ball.
You cannot set the ball in a patch push flush and trim off with a patch knife.
It also makes the patch harder to center the ball and run down the muzzle due to the recess in the barrel.

I am sure more members can speak up about this issue and their experience.

Back