• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poacher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "poacher" as you call him is in reality only that plus a trespasser and intruder only when he shoots a deer and violates the property line. Otherwise he's not violating any laws.

This is a difficult situation for you and could be a violation on your part if you destroyed or took his legally situated property or harmed him personally.

Perhaps you could get his name from the other property owner and talk to him. Or go to him when he's in the stand and tell him if he shoots a deer on this couple's property , he's in violation of trespassing if the land is legally posted.

Or just don't let him bother you.....one hunter isn't going to deplete the deer herd.....Fred

Cutting shooting lanes into the adjacent property is destruction of private property/criminal damage to property IMO
Even if it is not a legal issue it could easily be a civil one....(small claims court.)

George said:
colorado clyde said:
Probably the earliest law on the subject was one passed in Massachusetts in 1817, establishing closed seasons for certain animals and birds shot as game.
At the very founding of Kentucky, during the first convention for forming a government for Transylvania, Richard Henderson's trial colony, an attempt was made to protect the game. Here is an entry from Henderson's journal:

"Thursday, 25th. [May, 1775] ... This day four bills were fabricated and read: One for establishing a Tribunal of Justice; 2d, Malitia; 3d, for Preventing the Destruction of Game; 4th, a Law Concerning Fees..."

Don't know the details of the law, but, as they say, it's the thought that counts.

Spence

Unless I'm mistaken, William Penn wrote the first games laws in the new country and it was quite a few years before your citations. I've been told that the first was a prohibition on shooting deer during the fawning season. Good discussion though.

Cutting shooting lanes into another's property w/o permission certainly is damage that could be cause for a civil suit...but it has to be proven that this person did it. Unless the cutting was witnessed by the landowners and the cutter identified, not much to back up the law suit. Having the law witness...they have more important duties to perform?

I'm in sympathy w/ the OP because it's a difficult situation for him.....caused by a very inconsiderate so and so.....Fred

Dave, I had a similar situation in that a neighbor lady gave one of her relatives permission to hunt on her property, after I had denied him permission. I found his ladder stand on the property line, facing my property. I found some two part deer cover scent that smells like a skunk has just sprayed. Both parts are inert until you mix them together. Put down a drop of part A then a drop of part B on part A and stay up wind, LOL. I placed this scent along my fence line and the stand was moved shortly there after.......robin :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow reading this thread just gave me good reason to deny permission to hunters wanting to shoot on the woodlot. I have neighbors who I want to stay on terms with.

(snooping is walking about without their authority to do so)

The stand is not on the land you hunt. It is on someone Else's property.(maybe a photographer or nature lover) If they wanted you managing their land they would call and ask for your services. If they have not approached you and said "please meddle in my affairs" then it aint for you to be concerned about. Not everyone wants an uninvited person inserting themselves in their affairs.

Keep in mind that even in 21st century USA The potential for a crime is not a crime. I can hit a deer's lungs at 350 yards with my mauser and hunt where visibility is measured in miles. Am I poacher if I get with in 350 yards of the neighbors ranch?

I see a fellow standing with a shotgun in a field, and at his feet are too many geese for the limit. I didn't see him shoot, I didn't see him touch the geese. He's still in trouble.

Guilty till proven innocent eh. His buddy is probably in the bushes having a manure or he might JUST LIKE YOU have walked along 3 mins ahead of you and found 10 geese that fell off a tailgate and be standing there looking at them JUST LIKE YOU. Or he might be hunting on a nuisance permit or he might be hunting on a some kind of first nations permit or he might be photographing a two day possession limit of well gutted and chilled birds. Or he might be carrying birds that were legally gifted to him (and be in possession of all appropriate lisc #s docs) Or he might be a federal bilogist with all the paper work in order.........

To be clear: Do I like poachers? NO. Do I like trespassers? NO
Do I wish everyone respected the law of the land? Yes (most do so I am lucky)

I realize from reading your posts that you will have a hard time understanding this, but from one hunter to another, I'll warn you that it is possible to wear out your welcome in an area if you start to be seen as a freelance LEO with a penchant for snooping and speculating. Your a guest or at best a customer act like it.

I am not saying that we all should not be looking out for the well being of our community and neighbors and that proactive education is not a good idea but this is not a case that warrants meddling, investigating, getting righteous about etc.
Save all that inner magnum P.I for meth labs, child abuse, drunk drivers, terrorists and corrupt politicians :wink:

Sincerely hope that you and the cross bow vet both bag plump, heavy liver 2 point bucks close to a road with lots of daylight remaining and that you share the bounty with friends and loved ones.

I found a nice tree stand on the ground where someone had left it. Later I found out who it belonged to, and it cost him a case of beer to get it back. The property line were also explined to him. No more problems with him since.

Guilty till proven innocent eh. His buddy is probably in the bushes having a manure or he might JUST LIKE YOU have walked along 3 mins ahead of you and found 10 geese that fell off a tailgate and be standing there looking at them JUST LIKE YOU. Or he might be hunting on a nuisance permit or he might be hunting on a some kind of first nations permit or he might be photographing a two day possession limit of well gutted and chilled birds. Or he might be carrying birds that were legally gifted to him (and be in possession of all appropriate lisc #s docs) Or he might be a federal bilogist with all the paper work in order.........

You like to read into all the scenarios, and argue "hey this COULD be the case" which is true, so I should turn a blind eye...

You missed a few...maybe the guy was an arborist, and he was pruning the tree but forgot a regular ladder...., maybe he was a sculptor and this is some form of artwork..., maybe the ladder stand was left there 25 years ago (it's aluminum and didn't rust away) and the tree has simply grown up and lifted the ladder stand into an upright position...

As I said in my first post, it's possible the other landowner gave permission and that the property line needs better marking. YOU KEEP MISSING THAT PART as you did in my original posting.

As for "guilty until proven innocent", no, it's called probable cause. It's been a fact of life since...The Constitution was written. It means that what is observed leads to a logical conclusion...which might, when more facts come to light, not be the correct answer. As I said, with my scenario, a guy standing over a pile of geese that number over the limit. That's all that's observed, so the guy is in trouble. In your example, if he points to the bushes and there is a guy in there taking a manure...OK, or the guy has a permit for crop damage by waterfowl, whatever, then the guy is out of trouble...., but not until then. Happens all the time. Officers get a call for a trespasser in orange [really helpful description] on a farmer's property. Officer stops me, because I'm in orange and on that property. So I'm in trouble. I show him my written permission, ID, and hunting license...., I'm out of trouble, it happens that fast, and he ask me about having seen any other folks on the land, and moves on to look for the guy who was the source of the complaint.

Now, you're about to say, "The officer was invited onto the property to check you out, but in your case you weren't." Well, news flash, there isn't a magical, mystical, impenetrable, visibility blocking wall simply because of a property line, which is what you seem it imply as I must be "snooping" to have any reaction to seeing that stand. My reaction wasn't to the stand...but to the totality of the circumstances as observed.

If I was walking a property line while hunting with permission, and observed several pot plants growing on the other side of the fence, I'd ask the opposite land owner about it...., possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor [as is poaching], and since I didn't see anybody tending those plants, the owner is merely possessing the plants...until the owner says, "Nope, no idea about them". Now you'd say...you don't know if somebody dropped some seeds there by accident while crossing the fence..., you don't know if the owner has glaucoma and has permission to grow his pot..., you don't know if he's a research scientist with permission for marijuana cultivation, and has treated the plants with a chemical so they can't be consumed..., you don't know if some birds ate the marijuana seeds and crapped them out there and the plants just grew... ad infinitum. Which is correct, but..., doesn't stop me (nor should it) from asking the question.... which is the root of your objection.

Again, bait on the ground on one side of the property line, ladder stand posted just on the other side of said line, facing bait, plus a salt block dropped deeper on same property as the bait. With only those facts, conclusion = subject is using ladder stand to hunt, and is intending on shooting across property line when doing so. Mitigating circumstances....location of ladder stand is only illegal if opposite landowner did not give permission..., and boundary line may be difficult to identify from the ladder side of the property line. MY SOLUTION, as stated in the beginning of this thread, first, make sure the stand is there without permission...., if it present with permission....end of situation...no harm no foul..., But, improve boundary markings in any case as opposite land user(s) may not know exactly where boundary line is positioned.

And you seem to have a problem with the above paragraph.

LD

LD...I'm with you on this one. This is similar to the situation I described with my Eastern neighbor. His stands are just barely on his side and then there are cut swaths 15 to 20 ft wide, mowed with a tractor, going into our lease. The chairs in his box blinds face out a window toward those cut lanes. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on.

Some may think that he's cutting those wide swaths 100 yards deep into our property to aid in watching birds while he waits for a deer to show up on his side of the fence. Maybe he even does it to help me try to catch poachers invading our lease as now he can see deeper in and have a better chance of helping me catch them! God bless 'em for their optimism!

I grew up on a farm and farmed a number of years ago. Even today I live in an area where mine and my neighbors property back up to public land. If I had encountered the situation described, I would play dumb and ask my neighbor about it.

"Did you know there is a deer stand facing my property and there is bait and salt on my property?"

It is harder to do that if you are a hunter on property with permission. You might also go ask the neighbor for permission to hunt his property since you already have permission where you are hunting. That would provide an opportunity for conversation without being confrontational.

I agree with you on this case you mentioned. However, I have encountered a few overzealous wildlife officers in my 58 years of hunting including two who admitted they didn't have a case but stated, "Prove it in court." or "Tell it to the judge" as they issued a ticket. I did in both cases and the charges were dismissed but they were two unwarranted tickets.
I had to take off time from work and waste a day due to their arrogance.

I pulled up to one of my gates and a travel trailer was partially blocking my gate.

I knocked on the door and a man opened the door. I asked him what he was there for and he said they were going to hunt inside the property.

I explained to him that the landowner had killed a trespasser last year on the the land. He said thanks.

I then explained he needed to move his trailer so I could enter the gate.

Problem solved.

Several Years ago we were checking our outside fence.

We came upon a man and a woman walking along one of our roads. I was able to get behind them with out them hearing my truck.

I had called the Game Warden and summoned him for assistance, my wife sat in the truck with my pistol for my protection.

They were arrested for trespassing and were held on felony charges for trespassing with a fire arm.

Texas Law.

my wife sat in the truck with my pistol for my protection.

They were arrested for trespassing and were held on felony charges for trespassing with a fire arm.

I explained to him that the landowner had killed a trespasser last year on the the land.

Wow y'all have created a marvelous world for your selves. Does it 'feel' right?

Death and federal prosecution because a man's feet touched your dirt?!

Now that I have a better understanding of who I share this digital space with I am going to do the prudent thing and leave it. Y'all are a scarey, scarey bunch.

Fine leave, its called being an American, Trespassers can do a lot of damage or find back ways to invade your home or property and damage said property and or hurt you and yours. Just one person can become 4 or 5 stealing or vandalizing valuable property.

ddoyle said:
Wow y'all have created a marvelous world for your selves. Does it 'feel' right?

Death and federal prosecution because a man's feet touched your dirt?!

Now that I have a better understanding of who I share this digital space with I am going to do the prudent thing and leave it. Y'all are a scarey, scarey bunch.
ddoyle,
Don't judge this forum or it members based on anything from Texas.
After all, Texas want's to succeed from the union... :youcrazy:

armakiller said:
Also trespassers can cut fences letting livestock out, cows, horses etc. roam free.

I always figured that cutting a fence was a malicious act of its own and not related to trespassing. :hmm:
Just because a person "trespasses" does not mean that a person is there to do damage or harm.

Back