• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pistol shaping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Getting ready to finish my pistol project. Are there any small adjustments to the shape of the wrist or grip before I do the final sanding?

pistolinthewhite.jpg

The knife handle was from the same wood as the stock. I was using it to test the strength of the aqua fortis. I still think I need to dilute it some more.

Shape is great! Do make sure your trigger finger has clearance so your aim point doesn't change as you touch it off. Is that a single set trigger?
The color of the knife handle would look fine for the pistol, also, IMHO.

Bio,

Looks real nice. The only things I would think about changing.
1) Maybe taper out the area between the front rod pipe and the muzzle cap. (not so squar)
2) Hard to tell from the photo, but doesn't seem to be much definition around the lock panels. Could just be the photo.
Hope that makes sense.
Looks like a beauty.

What's the trigger pull? Sometimes in pistols the trigger pulls are very heavy.....Fred

I agree with smallpatch.
The area right behind the nosecap, between the nosecap and the front thimble could be faired in a little smoother.
Perhaps running the shape of the nosecap back about 1/4-3/8 inch, then blending to the existing ramrod groove sides about 3/8 - 1/2 inches in front of the thimble with a gentle S shape?

Zonie :)

Thanks guys. This was just the kind of advice I was looking for. I will post follow up pictures later.

One thing that seemed a little strange to me is the way the grip terminates in a sort of flat and pointed end. I'm not an expert on pistols by any means. I think that if you look at the grip shape as more of a rocco scroll it would flow a little better. I hope that makes sense.
I have a small pocket pistol I'm working on that I shaped the grip as a scroll that seemed to work out well, I could take pics if your interested in seeing my interpretation.

Regards, Dave

Because I have big hands, I am not enamored with small grips, either in diameter or length. I owuld consider adding an " end cap" to the butt of the stock, so I could round the bottom and give a little more length to the grip for my wide hands. I also think that a rounded bottom is a more pleasing line to see when looking at the pistol in profile than the flat bottom it appears to have. I am not into metal buttcaps, like were found on the old horse pistols. I would find a dark colored wood, like rosewood, or mahagony, or ebony, to use for a buttcap.

Back