• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The "Order of Assembly" Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuNosecap

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have some questions pertaining to the order of assembly of some specific parts in relationship to finishes. This touches on compatibility of different parts, different metals with potentially caustic or nasty chemicals.

1. When do you add rear sight to barrel? Before or after browning? Consider if there is no "controlled rusting" beneath sight, is that ever a problem with unwanted rust? Underlugs are hidden so not quite the same problem.

2. Similar question for front sight which is often a dissimilar metal (brass, German silver, copper). Do you add sight after browning?

3. And is there ever a consideration for the fixed nose cap placed before aqua fortis application? Or brass, GS inlays? Are inlays always placed after finish?

4. Last questions. Is this being over thought and there is no worry about browning or bluing around (iron) sights with the dovetail being covered already? Does aqua fortis color brass at all if handled properly?

Thank you in advance. I think I know these answers but thought I'd pose them to those who do this a lot more than I do.

Rick

Have a rifle that was built, 50. cal. got it shooting really well (all load development, and sighting in was broad daylight) Took it deer hunting, early one morning that time when its legal shooting light but not yet daylight, Big buck at around 50 yards straight on broad side shot, eased back the cock lined up the sights on his vitals and was thinking this is going to be over quick, could not find the front sight(and looked hard through the rear notch) as I did not want to wound the deer left him walk, un-shouldered the rifle and yep the site was there, By now it was daylight enough to figure out the problem. The builder had browned the barrel with the sight on it, got the gun home and re-placed the sight with a silver blade.

Thank you for the story and for the pointers, both of you. I have done it both ways. I have always left the front sight off while browning. I usually place both sights later in assembly. I do not do a lot of inlays, but when I have, they were difficult to place after the finish swelled the wood. But it looks like the aqua fortis on brass is not so big a concern.
thanks.

I do all finishing on disassembled parts metal or wood. A inlay that is fixed stays in place, like a pewder nose cap or a pinned inlay. Sometimes a fixed part needs a bit of work after finish. A pinned on inlay and aqua fortis stain.
IMG_1295 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Phil, that looks nice and all, but you made the gun upside-down.

Latest posts

Back