• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipe Dreams

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10% oxygen will kill you, but so will 100% at normal pressures. 10% co2 will kill you but 0% co2 at normal pressures will also kill you. less then .08% etoh in yourblood will give you a plesent warm fealing,.4% will give you a real real long sleep. Saliva causes cancer,butonly if swallowed in small amounts over long periods of time.

That's the image. Funny no?

I tried numerous times to post it. Each time I got nothing but the HTML code but no image. I used the same method that's been successful many times for me.

I enjoy a cigar every once in a while. At most I smoke one or two a month during the summer. I don't smoke them during the winter because I don't enjoy going out into the cold to smoke one. Same with my pipes. I might smoke a bowl once every couple of months. And then I often don't smoke the whole bowl before I've had enough. I just draw the smoke (cigar or pipe) into my mouth and blow out the smoke after enjoying the taste. I have made the mistake of inhaling it once or twice by accident and that is a thing I will not do again.

:thumbsup:

IowaShooter said:
That's the image. Funny no?

I tried numerous times to post it. Each time I got nothing but the HTML code but no image. I used the same method that's been successful many times for me.
Maybe it's an IT problem.... :haha:

colorado clyde said:
That's kind of like saying that with radiation it's not how many rads your exposed to but how long your exposed...
Or it's like an LD50 rating....just because your exposure is below the ld50 doesn't mean that it wont kill you....it just means that half of the people exposed won't die..

That's B.S. and not even related to one another. :slap:

On the health aspect of smoking. The cancer thing is still debatable I guess but one thing most folks don't realize is heart disease. Smoking almost always is going to result in some form of heart trouble. There are a bunch of doctors in Holland that believe the smoking roughens the inside of your arteries and that causes the clogs, not eating a lot of cholesterol. In any event, not good for you although as the Greeks say- all things in moderation. A mountain man that breathed fresh mountain air and had a pipe every now and then- probably did little harm.

The Dutch study is a little problematic as it had no place to devide cardiac risk lifestyle from smoking risk. A person who makes poor lifestyle choices can die as a result. Pointing a finger at one choice is hard to prove. To wit. A man has weak arteries in his brain. Father and grandfather died of Brian bleeds. He is in a car accident, and wasn't wearing a seat belt. He hits his head on the wind shield. He has a history of high blood pressure and was sloppy with his diet and med taking, he bust a blood vessel and dies of a bleed. Did he die from his genetic weakness, from his poorly treated high blood pressure, or not wearing his seat belt. Would he have died if his b/p was normal , could his head have handled the stress of the blow. Maybe the accident happened because a bad vessel blew just before the accident.
This was the Dutch study, very weak methodology since the purpose was to look just at pipe and cigar smoking as a risk without selecting for otherwise healthy smokers. They stacked the deck to get the answere they wanted.

They always stack the deck to get the results they want, anti-smoking researchers never look at genetics or the life style of smokers.

armakiller said:
They always stack the deck to get the results they want, anti-smoking researchers never look at genetics or the life style of smokers.
Actually, they do within limits.... It just has such a low occurrence rate that it plays out as a statistical anomaly.
If you smoke and live to be 90 with no consequences, your a statistical anomaly....either by genetics or by the frequency of your habit..

They do try to get the pc answere they want however. Until the early 90s addiction was defined as a dependency that prevented one fromliving a 'normal'life. Drinking every day wasnt an addiction unless you were loseing your job and family or place in your community because of it. Then we changed the definition so we could include smoking. That was part of the Surgon General plan to make smoking socialy unacceptable. I have taken care of a lot of junkies, boozers, and meth heads, tied to the bed ad pumped so full of benzos it was comming out of thier eyes. Never have seen a nicotien withdrawl. I've had a few people get cranky because of not having a smoke, but never had to tie one up, never seen them getting the D Ts. Never have given a booze meth head or junky thier drug of choice, but have slapped nicotien patchs on folks, and have never seen it relieve them of thier desire to have a smoke. Cant think of any thing elese that we call an addiction that just causes grumpyness when withdrawn. Makes me think thier is something besides science at work here.

You know I would never encourge anyone to take up pipe smoking. However, just like ML, I can share my experinces that have made it enjoyable to me. Others might find enjoyable also. Is it healty?NO it is not. Is it the great evil it is some times cast? It can be. So can drinking or rich foods. I treck alone, and a simple injury might kill me befor Im found.The hiways are full of peole who want to kill me.Life is short and a vail of tears. I take joy in sunrises and smoke, and even wet and cold with fires that are more smudge then warmth. Rum in the flask and meat on the broil. Enjoy it today cause tomorrow is a might dark. Do all things in moderation. "He givth green grass for the beast of the fields and wine to make the heart of motal man rejoice " We can expect little else.

I think our First Nations friends had it about right with tobacco, reserving it for use to mark important occasions and sacred ceremonies, as befits a gift from the Creator, and not something to be used for pleasure, to the point of addiction. I do miss a pipe, but it has been close to 30 years now since I touched the leaf.

BillinOregon said:
I think our First Nations friends had it about right with tobacco, reserving it for use to mark important occasions and sacred ceremonies, as befits a gift from the Creator, and not something to be used for pleasure, to the point of addiction. I do miss a pipe, but it has been close to 30 years now since I touched the leaf.

Bill - unfortunately that's a modern Native revisionism more than it is history. While it's true the Natives used tobacco for ceremonies. On the other hand read a lot of the primary journals and observations of the various tribes (the usages were not universal, but varied by tribe and I'm mostly educated in the ways of the Plains and Transmontane tribes) one of if not the first thing usually asked for in trade by the natives was tobacco. There also plenty of references to individuals and groups meeting along the trail and would just stop and have a smoke.

As they say, everything in moderation, if you over do a medication (prescription or OTC) or drink too much coke, etc. Bad things (health wise) can and sometimes will happen to you.

Yup . I drink a beer or sometimes two on days I'm not working. Yet no one would compare me to someone who drinks half a case per day. In smoking we take the results of 2 or 3 packs a day and apply that to one or two bowls of pipe smoke. It's a jigger of brandy compared to s half gallon of Rottergott in the plastic jug.

Latest posts

Back