• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Talk me into it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duca

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok sooo this is my 3rd SMR and I haven’t installed a patchbox yet and really want to do it on this build. I just don’t know if I should cut this patchbox down some or leave it the way it is. I kinda like it the way it looks now. The other thing is bending it to form with the stock profile. Think I heard to cut a steel pipe lengthwise and sandwich the patch box in between the two, and squeeze with the clamp. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful and appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
You probably already know this but if you do shape it to the curve of the stock be careful not to get too close to the hinge or the lid won’t work properly.

I never liked the “banana” patch box

Ok sooo this is my 3rd SMR and I haven’t installed a patchbox yet and really want to do it on this build. I just don’t know if I should cut this patchbox down some or leave it the way it is. I kinda like it the way it looks now. The other thing is bending it to form with the stock profile. Think I heard to cut a steel pipe lengthwise and sandwich the patch box in between the two, and squeeze with the clamp. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful and appreciated
Personally, that box looks a little long to me. Easy enough too fix that, and I do like the idea of a box.

The nice thing about the size is you can cut that patch box lid back to nearly whatever you like. Take your time, get the shape the way you like it before you cut the stock. Your gun, your style!

I did 4 mountain rifles, three have nothing, and one I put a grease hole in it. The grease hole seemed to be more popular in the 80s when I built the rifle.

It may be a bit long for the rifle. If you shortened the forward portion and rounded both ends like one in Hatchet Jack's photo it may work. I can't tell if it is too wide from the angle of your photo. Where did you aquire this. I'm assuming you didn't make it.

It may be a bit long for the rifle. If you shortened the forward portion and rounded both ends like one in Hatchet Jack's photo it may work. I can't tell if it is too wide from the angle of your photo. Where did you aquire this. I'm assuming you didn't make it.
Muzzleloader builders supply. There is another one there that’s smaller in length. I should’ve maybe tried that one.

Latest posts

Back