• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pillow ticking........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1961

62 Cal.
Reaction score
just bought a yard of the blue stuff from wally world "all they had" do i wash it and dry it or wash and let hang dry :v .............bob

One or t'other. :grin: I always stick mine in the dryer, but there are a lot of loose threads around the edge afterwards. Some people say line drying is better.

Don't know if it matters, but after washing and line drying my pillow ticking I ironed it. Seemed to think it made cutting and handling a little easier.

snagg

I read on the forum earlier this year about running a bead of waterproof wood glue (Titebond2) along the cut edges before washing. It works, no fraying at all.

hiteBuffalo,
I machine washed and machine dried mine, The I ironed it. I lost about 1/2 inch on the cut ends.

Brett

When i buy material i have them cut it into three one foot sections at the store.Easyer to handle and just right for cutting strips off.I soak a section in water in the sink for a couple of minutes and slosh it around,squeeze it out and throw it in the dryer.Gets most of the starch out and dont have near as much frayed edges.

Has anyone made charcloth from ticking? does it work good? Do you have to wash it first?

3 crows. haven't tried the ticking for charcloth but if you ask them for Monkcloth and make charcloth out of it. It's the best I've found.
Fox :thumbsup:

thanks guys....i know i read threads on it but lost the info after my brain surgery....just kidding :blah: ..............bob

brett sr said:
hiteBuffalo,
I machine washed and machine dried mine, The I ironed it. I lost about 1/2 inch on the cut ends.

Brett
I ironed my a few days ago ... seems the wife used the iron to starch some of her stuff ... the iron wasn't clean and the ticking was damp ... when my ticking was dry it was stiff as a board :grin:

I make my charcloth out of old denim overalls and jeans . I'll be darned if I'm going to waste good pillow ticking :haha: .

Just the thought of a couple of scruffy ol Mountain Men types showin' up in the Fabric Department at the local WalMart asking for pillow tickin' is crackin' me up. Imagine the look on the sales lady's face when she looks up an' sees Grizzly Adams in buckskins asking for "Just a yard!" hee hee

Its a wonderful world.

The girl at Target didn't bat an eye when I bought black cherry lipstick , to use for inletting black :haha: . But I sure would have liked to have seen Zonie buying that red velveteen for that pistol box he made :rotf: .

wow how did charcloth end up out of do i wash and dry or not to my pillow ticking....any way.... whats the best way to cut patches to lube then....strips as wide as i need fer my caliber and dip them and cut square after they dry or cut square and thread and needle to groupe them up and them lube them....what's a good size fer a .54 ball....i don't have any of the prelubed i've been useing fer my .50 to size the ticking to what i need fer my .50 and .54 and wally world where i work don't sell b/p stuff no more :cursing: ....all i have right now is sissiors or a straight edge and carpenter knife.............bob

Hey White Buffy...I just cut my patch material into squares that "look about right" then use my patch knife to remove any excess at the muzzle after the ball has been started. To prelube I dip them in melted lube,stack a bunch together and squeeze the heck out of them in a vise to remove the excess lube...regards...and best wishes

Hi WB, I use the ticking from Wal Mart and have never found it necessary to wash it. I spit patch it and don't taste any starch on it.

Even funnier is Grizzly Adams standing there with a micrometer asking, "Hey lady, you got any of this that's thicker?" :rotf: Haev gotten some interesting looks through the years!

Back