• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow ticking stiffness??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the washed patching material (I use the #40 Cotton Drill cloth from JoAnn's) easier to cut at the muzzle not to mention softer to take on a bit more patch lubricant and the weave is tightened. Washing works for Cotton Drill, Pillow Ticking, Mattress Ticking, Denim, Canvas and Linen. My most recent batch of linen came from India and the weave isn't as tight as the drill cloth. Worked fine for the breeches I was making. The scraps shot okay.

Ordered some pillow ticking this morning since its unlikely that the Patches I bought off ebay early last week will make it here tomorow before my first patch n ball shoot saturday.

Ordered this

https://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-pillow-ticking-blue/16840183.html
Went pick it up after work. And it is extremely stiff. Im thinking it may be too thick. Does it normally come stiff like that? Do you have to wash and dry it before use to make it softer? Says its 100% cotton..

It only cost me 8 bucks for 1 yard so I wont be upset if it is indeed the wrong stuff.

Shooting Hornady .490 roundball

Appreciate the help!
You need to wash it prior to using for patching. This is a tip long put forward. As a joking aside, I don't think the "my pillow" guy would like stiff ticking!:)

Like most of the other people here I wash mine first and use some laundry soap. I place about a yard of material into a mesh laundry bag so that the material ends don't get tangled up or you can use pinking shears to help prevent that but I would bag it also. I dry it in the dryer in the mesh bag then remove it as soon as it is mostly dried and spread it out on a flat surface to finish drying.

I find the washed patching material (I use the #40 Cotton Drill cloth from JoAnn's) easier to cut at the muzzle not to mention softer to take on a bit more patch lubricant and the weave is tightened. Washing works for Cotton Drill, Pillow Ticking, Mattress Ticking, Denim, Canvas and Linen. My most recent batch of linen came from India and the weave isn't as tight as the drill cloth. Worked fine for the breeches I was making. The scraps shot okay.
What does the drill cloth from Joanne’s mic?

As others have stated, I get the blue pillow ticking and wash and dry it 2x before use. And I keep it in a mesh bag while in the wash and dryer both. Comes out very soft and pliable. Just make sure u have good sharp shears!! Your hands and patience will appreciate it!!

Slap

Washing the material will make it softer and it will take out the sizing that makes it harder to soak up liquid or lube.
As a side note, some cleaning patches that are sold commercially have sizing making them less absorbent. You can check them by putting a drop of water on them and see if it is quicky absorbed or sits on top of the patch.

Back