• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow ticking stiffness??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ordered some pillow ticking this morning since its unlikely that the Patches I bought off ebay early last week will make it here tomorow before my first patch n ball shoot saturday.

Ordered this

https://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-pillow-ticking-blue/16840183.html
Went pick it up after work. And it is extremely stiff. Im thinking it may be too thick. Does it normally come stiff like that? Do you have to wash and dry it before use to make it softer? Says its 100% cotton..

It only cost me 8 bucks for 1 yard so I wont be upset if it is indeed the wrong stuff.

Shooting Hornady .490 roundball

Appreciate the help!

Walmart carries it also, remember there are at least three to four thicknesses of ticking, I prefer it thin enough so I can fairly easily pull a ball at the end of a hunt or after being loaded for awhile.

Ordered some pillow ticking this morning since its unlikely that the Patches I bought off ebay early last week will make it here tomorow before my first patch n ball shoot saturday.

Ordered this

Went pick it up after work. And it is extremely stiff. Im thinking it may be too thick. Does it normally come stiff like that? Do you have to wash and dry it before use to make it softer? Says its 100% cotton..

It only cost me 8 bucks for 1 yard so I wont be upset if it is indeed the wrong stuff.

Appreciate the help!
If you don’t have one already, get a dial caliper, mechanical or digital. Use that to measure the compressed thickness. Should run .018 - .020. They’re handy to have anyway.

So, say you buy some from TOW. Is it washed? I bought a yard from hobby lobby. I cut it in strips and shoot it. I haven’t washed any yet. The pre cut patches you buy seem as stiff as new ticking. Are they washed? I don’t know but they all seem to absorb lube and shoot fine. I’ve read a lot of threads on it.
I guess I need to wash some and see if I see a difference. Has anybody tested washed and unwashed and posted their results?

Also, I can’t find any .020. My Joanne’s had thin stuff. I take a mic in with me. Hobby Lobby had .017 so I bought it but I prefer .020. Haven’t tried Walmart yet. But I will.

@Jim K, JoAnn's has a great selection of patch material. There's the pillow ticking, then mattress ticking. If that isn't what you want, there's cotton drill cloth in the utility cloth section. There's canvas of different weights as well as denim. Do take your caliper to measure the thickness. This measurement at the store is only an initial check as the ream measure has to occur after the sizing has been removed. One nice thing about JoAnn's is that there are often discount coupons that can be downloaded from the web site.

What you find might be different but in my experience the red stripe ticking tends to be thinner than the blue stripe stuff. My red stripe measures .017 - .018 and blue stripe .019 - .020, both after washing.
I've found two different thicknesses of red stripe sitting side by side on the shelf so color never seems to make a difference.

What you find might be different but in my experience the red stripe ticking tends to be thinner than the blue stripe stuff. My red stripe measures .017 - .018 and blue stripe .019 - .020, both after washing.
Talked to a few suppliers about the difference between different colored stripes on ticking. Told the only difference was the color of the striping. Now if you find different lots of material or different manufacturers, there very well may be a difference in thickness, but the color of the striping was decorative according to the distributors/manufacturers I contacted.

Ordered this

Appreciate the help!
you have to wash the material to get the sizing out of the cloth.

Lol. I don’t do spit, but I get it!!

But not counting the taste, will I see a difference in shooting if I wash mine?

Jim, I usually wash and dry mine on high too
shrink the fabric making the weave of the cloth somewhat tighter…

I have shot ticking washed or not, it didn’t seem too matter accuracy wise..

I wash the material in hot water at least two times.
The first time I use detergent with a few drops of Dawn dish soap.
The second time is with no detergent.
Then the ride in the dryer.
The material then gets ironed.
Then rotary cut to patch size or into strips.

Latest posts

Back