• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picked up a GPR; and got a question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya got a sweet rifle at a fair price, and glue some velour in there to hold the rod.

I think you did quite well. I'd like to also wish you a happy birthday. I don't know if Lyman changed the under rib and did away with the rod retaining spring but you could find a piece of leather of the right thickness and glue it in there to provide enough friction to hold your rod in place. The other option is to install your own spring. If you can locate a spring for your rifle, you could have a gunsmith drill and tap a hole to screw the spring in place. But I think that would cost more than it would be worth. Try the piece of leather and see if that will work for you.

Wow, good information there Zonie on dates of manufacture and history of Italian marking of guns. I will check my Lyman GPR that I purchased new in 2004 and see what year it was made. There is a big letter I in a square on top of barrel and I will check under barrel for other stuff, going to shoot this morning and will do that afterwards when I take it apart to clean it. Good stuff!

I can't remember why I have the plastic or composite ramrod on my Lyman GPR....if it came with it or I replaced it myself. Have had it so long that I can't remember. Do the ramrods come like that with them new? I have broken several over the years and I may have bought it aftermarket. I like it none the less, works good for me anyway!!

I just got done cleaning Lyman GPR after shooting today. Under the barrel in the square it says BU and after going back to look at what Zonie gave us showing what Claude had put together on this subject it showed 2004 and that is the year I bought it.

My 1985 (AN) GPR has no ramrod spring. I had to put a small leather loop over the ramrod to keep it from clattering off when I made a downhill shot. I also hung a dark thread from that loop, as a breeze detector.

I finally had had enough and bought a Super Hunter Rod from Mountain State M/L (now Cains Outdoors). That unit has a jag on one end, which fits closer to the barrel, and the rod doesn't come out unexpectedly now.

As others mentioned, I've broken too many wooden rods to be comfortable with them anymore. :doh:

I can't remember if mine came with the composite rod or not as it has been 10 yrs now. I have had several wood ones break and I have ordered replacements several times and this one may be one of those.
I really like the unbreakable composite ram rod though for sure.

Back