• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Numrich Swivel breech ..Lock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just purchased a Numrich swivel Breech double .45 Cal. However it was from an auction and sight unseen (I'll learn one of these days...). Yes, it's barrels are rusty etc, etc. but it might make a blanket gun project. Reason for this thread something is amiss in the lock. It's a simple design however I believe I am missing a part. The plate that holds the bridle and spring in place may be missing a screw. The plate has five holes.... only four are used at the moment. The spring keeps jumping out of the bridle. Does anyone out there have a picture of the lock, there simply isn't that much to it. WZ

Attachments

• 100_3447.JPG
    100_3447.JPG
    654.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_3446.JPG
    100_3446.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3448.JPG
    100_3448.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 0
I used one of these for about 40 years for target shooting only before selling it. Due to the cheap lock design and weak mainspring, firing was problematic. Despite that, the gun was surprisingly accurate! I finally bought bunch of springs until I got one that was sufficiently stout enough to drop the hammer with enough force to fire the cap. I just found a spare spring in my parts bin that I had marked "Thick strong one" ... I have no use for it; if anyone can use it, e-mail your address to me at [email protected] and I'll drop it into the mail to you as a Christmas gift
Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 6.19.35 PM.png

OLUT, Thanks I would appreciate the spring and will E-mail you my address. Did You have trouble with the spring jumping out of location. I thought maybe the 5th hole above the spring keep it in place but your picture shows it isn't used. I agree it seems like a really simple lock design ... a bit to simple. Again thank you for the reply and the spring. Will be working on cleaning the barrels of the rust and hopefully it will be useful and fun to shot. WZ

OLUT, Thanks I would appreciate the spring and will E-mail you my address. Did You have trouble with the spring jumping out of location. I thought maybe the 5th hole above the spring keep it in place but your picture shows it isn't used. I agree it seems like a really simple lock design ... a bit to simple. Again thank you for the reply and the spring. Will be working on cleaning the barrels of the rust and hopefully it will be useful and fun to shot. WZ
The spring is in the mail to you.....Without hands-on, I suspect that the leg on the spring is too short or that the spring legs need to be spread farther apart. The "L" that contains the bend in the spring might also need to be "built up" a bit. Good Luck with your endeavor

The spring is in the mail to you.....Without hands-on, I suspect that the leg on the spring is too short or that the spring legs need to be spread farther apart. The "L" that contains the bend in the spring might also need to be "built up" a bit. Good Luck with your endeavor
I had one of these guns also, and the "L" that contains the bend in the spring is a weak point in the lock. I removed the "L" and replaced it with two 6X 32 bolts drilled into the lock plate. That modification, and a stronger spring gave me 100% ignition of the caps. As mentioned, the gun was quite accurate, but both barrels did not shoot to the same point of aim. One barrel always threw the ball about 2" low and 2" to the right.

Thanks Oult and Grimord for your responses. It does appear the spring is too short and keeps popping out of the bridle circle when the hammer is pulled back plus the spring doesn't really sit in that "L" shaped backing very well.
We never know what the previous owner might have changed or if it is just wear and tear that caused the problem.
However, it's amazing how basic and simple the lock design is .... Hopefully the spring Olut is sending will do the trick.
If not, I know how to drill and tap! One thing for sure; that rifle is going to shoot ...one way or another, LOL. WZ

Olut, Received the spring a few days ago. However, seems my customers wanted to clear their shelfs of materials for work in progress. Naturally they expect completed work back when the holidays are over, so I've been busy. Spent time today on the lock. Had the same problem with both springs again with them popping out of the bridle. So, I looked to the "L" as mentioned by you and Grimond and added a .03 shim stock into the "L" which added enough to make up for the wear and age of the bridle/spring. I haven't put it back into the rifle yet, but it does work outside of the gun. The stronger spring has a shorter small arm which puts a lot of tension on the lock arm.... I am going to leave the original in until I can clean up the rust and check the ignition. If I need more push, I'll put in the stronger spring now that I know how to play with this lock. Again, I appreciate the advice, spring and help in getting this animal working.
I Picked up some Evapo-rust from harbor freight so my next step is to soak the barrels with it and do some scrubbing with some marron Scotch Brite pads to clean things up. Have A Great Day, ZEE
I'll add more information on this rifle as I progress.

Last edited:
Just be careful with that "L" shaped spring holder. It is just tack welded on, and is easily broken off, especially when using a stronger spring. That is why I replaced the "L" with two 6 x 40 bolts drilled and tapped into the lock plate. It is a very weak point that can, and will, give out on you when using stronger springs.

Back