• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first round ball through a smoothbore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eterry

70 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
I've had smoothbores for years, always used them for shot.
Last year I bought a LH 14 bore (.69) gun with tiny iron sights. I found someone who'd source me some .662 RB.
I set up a target at 25 yards, used his recommended upper load of 80grs, but had fffg in the horn. So closer to 110grs ffg according to Lyman. I used an old T-shirt for patching, aimed for the thickest part of the letter N, offhand. I Felt a wee bit of recoil. 😆
I Shot 3 rounds before the skeeters tried to carry me away. I Checked the target, very surprised. I feel fairly confident I can cut that group in half from the Bench.
I had ran a square load of 70gr fffg and #8s earlier. You can see them if you zoom in.
All in all, a good day.

Attachments

• 20240526_173600.jpg
    20240526_173600.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240526_174159.jpg
    20240526_174159.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240526_174605.jpg
    20240526_174605.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
This smoothbore thing is really sounding more and more fun every time I see a post like this. To be able to hurl a ball like that, or shot, or combination of ball and shot sounds like a ball.

DAGGONE!! UH, yeah I would say that is a REALLY good group off hand. Yep that big ole cannon ball would dang sure put the meat on the ground.
I caught a big break by it having front and rear sights. Kinda hard on my eyes, I'm not 22 anymore... lol.

This smoothbore thing is really sounding more and more fun every time I see a post like this. To be able to hurl a ball like that, or shot, or combination of ball and shot sounds like a ball.
All the TV shows and "Experts" say the Winchester ' 73 won the west. BULL!! The Gun that Won the West was the double barrel muzzleloader. Shot in one barrel, buck and ball or ball in the other. Anything from quail to elk to repelling boarders, you're set.

Is a 3" group offhand decent at 25 yards? I think it would ruin a deer, hog, or turkey's day at that distance. If a steady rest maybe double that distance.
I'll do a search here, maybe try bare or chewed ball next.

A 3" 25 yard group will mean a dead deer farther out than that. Possibly out to 40-50 yards.

Paper "cartridge" round ball in my 0.662" smoothbore flintlock is my deer hunting choice. I haven't hunted with a m/l rifle in a dozen years. Patience is your friend . . . but I also hunt with sightless traditional recurves and wood arrows so a trigger you can pull with little motion and 3X the range is not an issue for me. It's a blessing. ;-)

Back