• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picked up a GPR; and got a question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I promised myself I wouldn't buy myself any new toys this close to Christmas, with other shopping to do. But today being my 48th birthday, I decided to splurge anyway. At the local gun shop I found a GPR in the used rack in excellent condition. The price was $275.

One negative is that a previous owner installed a swivel stud in the stock ahead of the toe plate, but it's a simple matter to remove it and plug the hole. I've wanted to buy a GPR for a long time to replace the one I sold many years ago, so I snagged it.

15599257320_b173199cb1_c.jpg

15803245361_822061e2e4_c.jpg

15803245611_148eb9e3df_c.jpg

It has a flexible plastic ramrod, which I don't care for, so I'll replace that. But another thing that has me curious is the ramrod retaining spring. There isn't one. As I recall, the GPR I sold around 12 years ago had a ramrod spring in the underrib, near the rear end. This one has no provision for a spring at all, so I'm wondering if it's the original underrib.

15794442805_4217ba1b12_c.jpg

I actually don't mind it, because I think it looks better without the spring there. But there isn't one on the stock either. No hole for a spring screw anywhere on the barrel or stock. One thing I found is that a previous owner glued something (maybe a piece of foam or something) inside the stock to put friction on the ramrod and hold it in place.

15794438755_6060d2dfa0_c.jpg

It's barely enough to do the job, a little bumping will make the rod slide forward. So I need to come up with something better, maybe as simple as gluing something a little thicker in there.

So my question is... is this a replacement underrib someone made for this gun? Or did Lyman change the design somewhere along the way and do away with the ramrod spring?

Other than this minor issue, I'm happy with my birthday present to myself. :thumbsup:

My GPR was made in Italy they may have changed the design when they moved to Conn,,,That said my GPR has a spring as part of the Barrel rib and Thimble, Part # 6030137, in the lyman Owners Manual... the ram rod spring clip is part # 6993102. All it looks like is a slot/space cut in the Barrel Rib and tapped for a screw to hold the spring clip in place ,,, easy fix/modification.
Fine looking rifle and at a good price to.

I bought my gpr used in 84 at a yard sale. it does not have a spring and never did. I have not seen a spring on the early guns.

My two (one's a GPH) both have rib cutouts with springs. Both are 1990's vintage.

As you know, this forum has thousands of posts telling about things from A to Z but in addition to the regular Forum areas there is one of them that has all sorts of information called "Articles, Charts and Links".

Among the things you will find there in the "Links, Charts, Reference" is a topic called Modern Replica Dating by Proof Marks".

This is only good for the Italian made guns but as you may know, the Italian guns all carry proof marks.
Two of the marks deal with the proofing and one, a square or rectangular box with letters and/or numbers in it tell when it was proof tested.

Follow this link to get to this page. Check out the letters marked on your gun and look it up in the table. :)
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/236956/

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2006 has the spring..... any way to stop the rod jarring loose an inch or two every shot?

MM

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the proof mark guide. 1986.

Those of you with GPRs without the spring, how does your gun prevent the ramrod from sliding out? Is there something glued into the stock like mine? Or is it just a tight fit?

Mine has no retainer but stays put by virtue of being slightly bowed. I also have a steel field rod for it an I bent a bow into it to hold it in place.

As for the swivel stud......you might get creative and put an inlay of some kind in there. An oval with initials, or extended toe plate. Just thinking.

I bought my 54 cal. GPR in 2004 (10 yrs ago) and it has the spring to hold ramrod in place. I love my GPR and I have both barrels for it too. The Hunter is fast twist and the Great Plains barrel is slow twist for PRB. Great shooter, had to file down front sight in order to bring elevation down for impact. Never had any issues with mine.

Yes. Filing the front down will raise POI.

However, the GPR front sight generally sits too tall and needs to be filed. I had to do the same with mine - and its suggested in the directions.

Zach

Vomir le Chien said:
If you filed the front sight down ,, wouldn't that raise the elevation ???

Yes, I didn't proof read....it was shooting low and that is reason I filed it down was to raise the point of impact. It actually was about 6 inches low out of box. If I held at 12:00 it would come in close to center. Now at 100 yds it shoots about 1 inch high...which is what I like for hunting.
Jim

My GPR was made year before last and has the spring screwed into the under rib. Thinking it looked stupid I removed it. After a trip to the range, it looke even sillier to see the stowed rod hanging out forward of the muzzle -- so I reinstalled the spring, and all stays put. I use a range rod anyway & don't pay much attention to the original rod beyond *** Crosspinning the tip so it doesn't come apart in the bore ***

I have both a GPR and a GPH. Both are 1990's vintage. Both have the ramrod retention springs along with a cutout in the rib.

I also have an Investarms made Cabela's Carbine bought used that is probably late 90's vintage. It has no spring. I put a piece of adhesive backed Velcro hook stock in the forearm to help retain the ramrod. It has worked well.

Investarms builds MLs to spec. for multiple customers (Lyman, Cabelas, etc.). If the customer specifies a ramrod spring, they'll probably provide one for a nominal fee. Customer wants may change from year-to-year.

Back