• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period correct rangefinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
1703618784859.png
Anybody made their own rangefinder like the one shown here. I know they cam be bought fro about $20 but I think it would be neat to DIY. I probably would need to buy one to get the dimensions for the markings, or borrow a modern one from a buddy that hunts and have a 6ft tall helper (my grandson). The 6ft tall helper because I understand that the calibrations were/are based on a 6ft tall person.

You don't need to buy one to get the dimensions. Choose an object of the height you wish, say 30 inches for a deer at the shoulder. Measure out 10 yds, sight, and scribe a witness mark, then measure out 20 yds, sight, and scribe a witness mark,...and keep repeating out to about 125-150 yds or so. Take your brass blank home, and treat your witness marks with punches, dremels, or other methods of engraving, and you're done.

I believe the device in your illustration is designed to be used on an object 6 feet in height (a man or moose). I would make one from scratch using whatever height you wish.

Last edited:
Wedges!
Wedges!
We don’t need no stinking wedges!
How about we put a 12" gong up anywhere from the muzzle to 500 yards.

I'm willing to bet money I'm on it before 99% of the people can even get close. My wedge is quite proven.

My friend has the same rifle set up differently. He asked about the wedge. He ranged a coffee can sized rock at 290 yards....and I smacked it first shot.

He now wants to build a wedge.

Back