• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Hammer Problem!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For some reason, the hammer on my Traditions Crockett Rifle has started to rub on the side of the nipple after firing the cap. I don't know what's changed. It wasn't doing it when I first got it.

How hard is it to heat and bend it?

Thanks!

Walt

Attachments

• 20230226_224230.jpg
    20230226_224230.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I suggest that before you heat and bend, you do a little diagnosing. Try this - put the hammer on half cock, then using the hammer as a lever see if you can move the lock from side to side. What we are trying to find is there any movement and where it is located. You could have a loose hammer screw, loose bridle plate screws on the inside etc. which would allow the tumbler to be loose or worse worn. Make sure the lock plate screw is snug also and there is no crack in the wood on the left side caused by over tightening that screw. Make sure the lock plate itself is setting flush into the inlet and pull the lock and check the inlet for things that would interfere with the lock plate fit.

Your picture shows a fairly pronounced tilt. Another thing to check is to make sure there is no contact with the wood on the inside of the hammer. Something is probably just loose or has settled in as you use the rifle.

If all else fails, try adding a thin shim under the bottom edge of the lock plate. Thin, as in a square of sandpaper. This will tilt the hammer towards the barrel just a bit and may give you the clearance needed. Of course, keep an eye out that this doesn't create rubbing of the hammer against the stock.

Deleted. I failed to absorb that it is a Crockett . I have no experience with those.

My mistake.

Last edited:
Before you do something you will regret , put the torch down , and find out what has changed about thelock position , loose screws , loose bolts , etc. BPAddict is absolutely correct. Been doing this b/p stuff for 50+ yrs. , and might have never seen a bent hammer on a lock. ....oldwood

I can see by the picture that the front area of the lock is not contacting the barrel. Maybe a little wood in the way that needs to be removed? That little bit would probably realign the hammer. If you do need to bend the hammer, it can be done the little that you would need, without heat. But gently.

Off hand- I'd hold off bending the hammer if it used to be okay. Like rafterrob I think I'd look to how the lock is set into the stock. If it was working okay to start- any fouling, etc. in the inlet?

If it was OK when you got it and was shooting fine then all of a sudden the hammer is hitting the nipple SOMETHING has moved to cause this. As said above there is a gap between the front of the lock and the barrel. Find out the cause and you most likely have found your problem. Also check for loose screws in the lock and lock bolts that hold the lock in place. Stay away from the torch :rolleyes: ;):ThankYou:

For some reason, the hammer on my Traditions Crockett Rifle has started to rub on the side of the nipple after firing the cap. I don't know what's changed. It wasn't doing it when I first got it.

Thanks!

Walt
Follow the good adice already given with respect to finding the issue of what caused this misalignment. Forget the bending and heat. Let us know what you find out.
Larry

Without looking at it, Al at the Gun Works said I probably over-tightened the lock bolts causing the wood in the mortise to compress. However, if that were the case, it would be rubbing on the opposite side or more centered.

Whenever I acquire a new gun, I stain and apply Linseed oil in the trigger and lock mortises plus the barrel channel. Maybe I caused a build-up. It definitely is canted!

Thanks for all your help and ideas. There's a wealth of knowledge here for sure!

Walt

I understand what your saying but if you look at the front part of the lock plate, there is no corresponding gap there. Usually, when there's a space like that on a "Production" gun, it's caused by poor workmanship.

I'll have to look it over good and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for your input!

Walt

Looking at the picture.It looks like the hammer is scraping the front of the nipple not the side I have had this on three of my CVAs . I did have to bend the hammer out to the front

I agree check for all possibilities first, but bending is not a big deal and common on a lot of the CVA and Traditions guns ; 99% of the time they fire just fine being a little off center , but my OCD won't allow it. Working on a CVA Hawken building from parts and I just bent the hammer both ways to make it perfectly centered on the nipple.

Thanks!

Walt
I suggest that before you heat and bend, you do a little diagnosing. Try this - put the hammer on half cock, then using the hammer as a lever see if you can move the lock from side to side. What we are trying to find is there any movement and where it is located. You could have a loose hammer screw, loose bridle plate screws on the inside etc. which would allow the tumbler to be loose or worse worn. Make sure the lock plate screw is snug also and there is no crack in the wood on the left side caused by over tightening that screw. Make sure the lock plate itself is setting flush into the inlet and pull the lock and check the inlet for things that would interfere with the lock plate fit.

Your picture shows a fairly pronounced tilt. Another thing to check is to make sure there is no contact with the wood on the inside of the hammer. Something is probably just loose or has settled in as you use the rifle.
Did you find out your problem? What was it.

Back