• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one in 36 caliber from Cabelas in Sidney, NE several years ago before Bass Pro ruined them. It was in the bargain cave and the price was so low that I wondered what was wrong with it. Evidently it had been sold and returned but it was like new and the price was right so I got it. It was percussion but I recently bought a flintlock lock for it. The lock cost more than what I paid for the gun!

It‘s a great gun, shoots good, and I’ve not had any problems with it.

I have a couple of them, one in .45, the other .54. I have nothing but good things to say about them, especially at the price they sell for (or used to anyways). Just a couple of upgrades I did that were cheap. Threw away the cheap "dowel rod" that it came with, replaced it with hickory. Replaced the hard to see, way too thick front sight with a thin German silver blade. Drilled the touch hole out slightly to 1/16", that has given me 100% ignition when the pan powder goes off, which is most every time. (When I'm at the range, I sometimes let my flints get too dull) Finally I removed the plastic looking factory finish, replacing it with boiled linseed oil.

Is it as good as a custom gun, aesthetically. Nope. A little front heavy, but I got used to that. LOVE the easily removed barrels for cleaning, not authentic I know. As accurate and reliable as any flinter I've personally seen, including high dollar custom jobs. Not scared to take them hunting, as I might be with a entry level custom flint that cost 5 times as much. Mine were quite cheap, I know they cost a lot more nowadays.

I have one in .36 but, it's percussion. I shoot it the best of my 3 rifles. I don't find it heavy compared to my Hawken, or Traditions Shenandoah. I had to file my front sight thinner. I bought a new one from Track, but haven't installed it yet.

If you do a search here you will find quite a few threads about them. I have a .50 Blue Ridge flinter (same gun as the Frontier). It was my first flinter and I found it to be very reliable. I have only put around 60 balls through it as I have bought several other flintlocks since then and just don’t shoot the Pedersoli anymore. I like a front heavy long rifle as I find them to be very accurate when holding solid on the spot shooting offhand. A good value for the money in my book. Greg

I’ve owned a few pro’s: shoots great, and you can remove the barrel from stock and stick in the sink, guns literally a couple screws away from flint to percussion or vice versa. Con’s when you first get it just start grinding The front site down or change it. All mine shot 4 foot low out of box. The front post is so tall it looks ridiculous, ramrod trash that’s factory, the smaller calibers balance bad. But still I won a bunch of events with a 45

I have a Frontier flintlock in .32 caliber. Very dependable lock and the rifle shoots PRB into 1 1/2" at 50 yards. I have not actually 'timed' the lock time - but I feel mine is just as fast as a percussion. (Which I also have.)

Thanks I shoot the percussion model, curious about the flint version.

As mentioned there are some things to do for reliability and accuracy. Opening the touch hole. Replace the Pedersoli factory rammer. You will want a .22 or .32 caliber pistol brush to help keep the patent breech clean, and replacing that front sight post is a MUST if you want all of the accuracy out of it. I don't really like the use of a wood screw in front of the bend in the frizzen screw to help keep the lock in place. BUT they couldn't use two lock bolts without messing with the ramrod. Burnishing the barrel is also a good idea.

LD

I bought a 32 percussion and eventually converted it to flintlock. I got the lock etc. from Dixie gunworks. Mine is a little hard on flints but the lock time is great. The pan is shallow but if it is filled level I've never had a misfire. I replaced the front lock screw with a threaded insert and the type of screws that hold on an electrical outlet cover fit it. I just blue or fire blue the screw. You can also get screws made of brass that size. Replacing the front wood screw takes care but is worth it.

I had one in .54 Flint.
Shot my first muzzleloader deer with it in 2018.
I loved it at first, until I started shooting custom guns with swamped barrels. Sold it and used the money towards building a custom rifle and there's no comparison between the two.

At this point in my muzzleloading journey I cannot understand why one wouldn't go with a custom rifle. They hold way better, have faster ignition and are straight up a better rifle.
I'm going to be speaking about this topic at our church's wild game dinner coming up.

They are a great entry rifle I will say that.

Pennsylvania 45 cal flintlock. My favorite ML. When I would take it to matches everyone would say I was cheating. With the 32" barrel I was half way to the target. Reliable, great ignition, its a classic.

Interesting, I looked at the rifle online it seems they come in several options.👍

The Maple version in .54 cal comes in 1/65” rate of twist vs 1/48”….
IMHO,It’s a great looking gun👍

4052B3DB-4193-4EF0-9C91-FCC78D7D8A3C.jpeg

My personal opinion is that one can do a lot better for the price. These often auction for 600-800$ in .32-.45 caliber. If it were me, I’d set my pennies aside for a Kibler Southern mountain Long Rifle or a chambers squirrel rifle. The locks are way better on both and for some reason, people tend to not hold on to the pedersoli frontier rifle. I think the wood screw that’s used to anchor the forward end of the lock plate is a worthless feature, pedersoli should have just omitted that, not sure why they still used it, if the rammer is too far near the lock plate then set the lock with a single bolt that’s a larger bolt and more towards the pan.

I bought my .50 cal. flint for Christmas for my self. It is great I really enjoy target shooting at 100 yards. As for anyone else, get a rifle you like and you'll be happy Not wanting it after getting something someone else and not you wanted.

I have the Kentucky, not the Frontier. It is my first flintlock. An experienced shooter may have an easier time with it but it has been very difficult to get reliable firing for me. Granted, it's extremely humid here in central CA right now -- 90-99% most mornings. I suspect that the smaller breach area collects moisture after the shot & flat ruins the powder upon loading. Best I can do right now is get one good first shot and then treat every subsequent shot like it's a stuck ball -- clear with a pick & then dribble powder into the flash hole for a short fuse-type firing. It goes off every time that way. But I lose the sight picture very briefly behind the smoke & flash of the pan before the main charge goes off. I'm curious to see what happens in the summer when the humidity is <20%.

Back