• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica River Longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely rifle! I too have a Pecatonica Verner, but mine was already built by a steadier hand than mine. It's 50 cal, swamped and coned.

Attachments

• 20211027_193432.jpg
    20211027_193432.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 67
Looks sweet. I wasn’t aware that they would do custom orders like swamped barrels / in letting until recently. I would have liked mind to have that. The straight barrels are ok but after having a swamped barreled rifle there’s really no goin’ back!

I gotta be honest, I don't know if they did. But somebody built this thing from what appears to be their kit, or maybe a Sitting Fox. I bought it from an estate that contained dozens of rifles and had to figure out what it was after the fact.

I gotta be honest, I don't know if they did. But somebody built this thing from what appears to be their kit, or maybe a Sitting Fox. I bought it from an estate that contained dozens of rifles and had to figure out what it was after the fact.
Pecatonica did a custom barrel (and lock) inlet for my customer's Rice barrel on my last build. Wait time wasnt very long, either.

Pathfinder, that is a fine rifle! I just got a quote from Pecatonica for the same style rifle, .54 cal swamped barrel. I'm wondering if there could be a problem, seeing that the barrel is going to be taking up more room In regards to the ramrod hole?

Pathfinder, that is a fine rifle! I just got a quote from Pecatonica for the same style rifle, .54 cal swamped barrel. I'm wondering if there could be a problem, seeing that the barrel is going to be taking up more room In regards to the ramrod hole?
Good question- I guess you will find out! Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Can I ask what the price quote was? PM if you like. Thanks!

I've had nothing but smiles and grins in. my dealings with Pecatonice, even with my sometimes finicky special requests.
BUT it has been some years ago and times have gotten really wierd. Hope you & they will get friendly soon.

These guys are personal friends of mine and it is good to hear they treat other folks as well as they do me. They have a really well laid out shop and I've always enjoyed my visits to them.

These guys are personal friends of mine and it is good to hear they treat other folks as well as they do me. They have a really well laid out shop and I've always enjoyed my visits to them.

The YouTube video of their old furniture replicator making stocks is really cool. Purists may scoff at churning out 20 stocks at a time, but I bet Jacob Dickert himself would have sold his own mother for such a tool.

I personally feel the forward lock plate bolt is far more important to have than dealing with a ramrod that's 3 inches short. (A jag/extension is available to solve the length issue.)
I have a Hawken I built from a kit several years ago. The kit sat for 4 years while I lived in another state. The ramrod hole was drilled a bit low and after 80 hrs and the initial several hundred dollars invested, I have a beautiful, great shooting rifle. BUT, I have a gap between ramrod and rib at the forearm cap that screams at me everytime I look at it. Too late, so sad, my gosh, can you sellna homely step child?

PathfinderNC, I just googled images of the Verner from Pecatonica and yours came up.
Just this morning, I ordered the stock and barrel, lock, thimbles, butt plate, trigger guard, side plate and a bivens single trigger from them.
I will get the sights and white lightin' touch hole liner from track.
The barrel I ordered is a colerain oct to round like the trade gun I just finished... But this one is a 42" 58 cal rifled. Doug is putting a fantail breech in there for me too.
I am a little concerned with cheek slap from a 58 in this style. I guess we will find out. I sure like the looks of the profile. Nice job on your rifle

PathfinderNC, I just googled images of the Verner from Pecatonica and yours came up.
Just this morning, I ordered the stock and barrel, lock, thimbles, butt plate, trigger guard, side plate and a bivens single trigger from them.
I will get the sights and white lightin' touch hole liner from track.
The barrel I ordered is a colerain oct to round like the trade gun I just finished... But this one is a 42" 58 cal rifled. Doug is putting a fantail breech in there for me too.
I am a little concerned with cheek slap from a 58 in this style. I guess we will find out. I sure like the looks of the profile. Nice job on your rifle
Hi Brian- that sounds like it will be a nice build. I really like the graceful lines of the Verner style rifle they offer. Will you add a Patch Box?
Doug is a wonderful guy to work with. They always come through splendidly on any special requests I have asked also.
If this one turns out as nicely as your NW Trade Gun, it will be a dandy. Take pics and make a video :thumb:

Hi Brian- that sounds like it will be a nice build. I really like the graceful lines of the Verner style rifle they offer. Will you add a Patch Box?
Doug is a wonderful guy to work with. They always come through splendidly on any special requests I have asked also.
If this one turns out as nicely as your NW Trade Gun, it will be a dandy. Take pics and make a video :thumb:
Oh I'll be taking pics and video!!👍👍
I lied, just found out from emailing Doug this morning, it's a rice barrel coming with this this Verner kit. The trade gun barrel I thought was a colerain like my first from them but it was a Rice as well. Doug said they don't have markings on it because Pecatonica breeches them.
I have a early Lancaster step wrist being shaped currently from a local guy. I picked up the 58 caliber York golden age profile Rice at the Lewisburg show a couple weeks ago.
But then I got the idea to build this one from Pecatonica.
So I'm building a step wrist and a 58cal 42-in swamped barrel early gun when I get the stock back.

Now I'm building this octagon to round 58 as well in the Verner kit.
Originally I ordered the Verner to build just to sell but I may as well see which one I like best and sell the other...
No patch box, no nose cap.
I like simple guns 😊

Oh I'll be taking pics and video!!👍👍
I lied, just found out from emailing Doug this morning, it's a rice barrel coming with this this Verner kit. The trade gun barrel I thought was a colerain like my first from them but it was a Rice as well. Doug said they don't have markings on it because Pecatonica breeches them.
I have a early Lancaster step wrist being shaped currently from a local guy. I picked up the 58 caliber York golden age profile Rice at the Lewisburg show a couple weeks ago.
But then I got the idea to build this one from Pecatonica.
So I'm building a step wrist and a 58cal 42-in swamped barrel early gun when I get the stock back.

Now I'm building this octagon to round 58 as well in the Verner kit.
Originally I ordered the Verner to build just to sell but I may as well see which one I like best and sell the other...
No patch box, no nose cap.
I like simple guns 😊
Sounds like you're going to be having LOTS of gun building fun!
I don't know what a 'stepped wrist' is though I would probably recognize what you are referring to if I saw it.
Also, I think Rice barrels are have a good reputation. A customer of mine had one (A weight, Swamped .50) sent to Pecatonica for inletting and then sent to me for assembly. I tell you, they do good work (though the barrel had to come forward about 1/4" to line-up with the inlet lock mortise.)
Looking forward to the build pics!

Back