• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica River Longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi fishtales7,
Sure, here is a pic of the ramrod extension that I use. It's solid brass and is in three parts (actually 4, since the cleaning jag unscrews to reveal a 1/8" drill bit jag for some purpose). I got it about 30 years ago and honestly don't remember where from.
It's a great thing to have since there's no way to get the ramrod in past the front lockplate screw, and this extension gives the ramrod a good 7" or 8" extra length. I keep it in my patchbox or shooting bag when i am not using my bench rod.

The Hawken Shop used to sell a jag extension that sounds like your extension. The Jag would screw off to reveal the drill to drill into the (dry) ball. The drill could be unscrewed to reveal a threaded ball puller. Because there was the hole drilled in the ball, the threaded puller could be turned into the ball without expanding the ball for easier ball removal.

I remember watching a video a long time ago where the guy's front bolt went through the ram rod hole. I can't remember exactly but he either cut the bolt short and glued the head to the plate or inserted a short threaded insert to accept the cut off bolt.

I remember watching a video a long time ago where the guy's front bolt went through the ram rod hole. I can't remember exactly but he either cut the bolt short and glued the head to the plate or inserted a short threaded insert to accept the cut off bolt.
I personally feel the forward lock plate bolt is far more important to have than dealing with a ramrod that's 3 inches short. (A jag/extension is available to solve the length issue.)

The Hawken Shop used to sell a jag extension that sounds like your extension. The Jag would screw off to reveal the drill to drill into the (dry) ball. The drill could be unscrewed to reveal a threaded ball puller. Because there was the hole drilled in the ball, the threaded puller could be turned into the ball without expanding the ball for easier ball removal.
Yes, I found it for sale still in DGW. It's a good thing.

PathfinderNJ could you pm me some more pictures of your rifle as I am building an A verner from pecatoncia river also im interested in the forearm area contour.
Your rifle is beautiful hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

Larry Callahan makes a very nice ram rod extension. If you call or leave special instructions on your requirements for thread size and length, I am sure he can accommodate you.

Callahan Bagmolds - Products Page 1
Grenadier, thank you for posting about Mr. Callahan's handy work went to his web site and he had exactly what I was inquiring about in reference to Ram rod extensions. You were spot on! Thank you agian.

PathfinderNJ could you pm me some more pictures of your rifle as I am building an A verner from pecatoncia river also im interested in the forearm area contour.
Your rifle is beautiful hope mine comes out as nice as yours.
I will take some pics and send them. But really I am not that accomplished a builder. You may be better guided by better builders here.

Thanks for your info on Sitting Fox, I sent a message the other day to them about ordering a gun, now I'll rethink it!
Unfortunately I believe Sitting Fox has had some supply challenges and they are a small enterprise. They're typically a great vendor oft recommended for specific items not carried by other larger, well respected vendors. I ordered a wig months ago and within a day they advised me they had no more in stock and refunded my money right away.

Unfortunately I believe Sitting Fox has had some supply challenges and they are a small enterprise. They're typically a great vendor oft recommended for specific items not carried by other larger, well respected vendors. I ordered a wig months ago and within a day they advised me they had no more in stock and refunded my money right away.
Since we messaged I received a reply from them, now I have to make a decision! Thanks for your reply.

Thats a longggg time....
Ray received my check in mid February. I’ve been given the run around since. Was supposed to be here two weeks ago, but was told back in June I’d have it in a couple of weeks (I have an email chain of excuses).

Was given a tracking # and told it shipped two days ago after I requested my money back. The tracking number just shows the label has been created.

Ray received my check in mid February. I’ve been given the run around since. Was supposed to be here two weeks ago, but was told back in June I’d have it in a couple of weeks (I have an email chain of excuses).

Was given a tracking # and told it shipped two days ago after I requested my money back. The tracking number just shows the label has been created.
Wow!

Back