• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Kibler kit is pretty much an in the white rifle. Most all the shaping is done you just do the final finish. Down side is you have 3 tyles to pick from and the one size fits all average stock,

Pecatonica is going to be a lot more work and as others have pointed out probably best if you don't order a lock inlet. A lot of styles to choose from and you can build the rifle to custom fit YOU.

Another option would be Jim Chambers. Kind of a middle of the road between the others. More work than Kibler but lot less than Pecatonica. You also have more styles to choose from and if like myself if you need a length of pull slightly longer than the average you have the option to order it without the butt plate inleted with some extra wood left so you can get ir to fit you.
I didn’t know Chambers will cut/ Mount the butt plate .that’s good 😀

Yes most of the other Kit Companies leave lots of work for you to do. Kibler is a great choice on the Woodsrunner. The stock barrel inletting is for a swamped barrel. There is another info here in that all of the barrels on Kibler's kits is for prb ! In case you are wanting to shoot conicals then you will need to seek a diff barrel. If you don't want a patch box your also out of luck with Kibler. Those are the 2 main points for me passing on his finely made kit.

I appreciate the honesty, I personally like the look of your rifles and how period-correct the locks and designs are. I just need to convince the wife I need one now.

" HONEY! I won a Kibler kit! Only $1200.00 shipping and handling!!! And I get to keep the box!"

Worth a try. Tell her after she gets the fed ex bill though.

Yes most of the other Kit Companies leave lots of work for you to do. Kibler is a great choice on the Woodsrunner. The stock barrel inletting is for a swamped barrel. There is another info here in that all of the barrels on Kibler's kits is for prb ! In case you are wanting to shoot conicals then you will need to seek a diff barrel. If you don't want a patch box your also out of luck with Kibler. Those are the 2 main points for me passing on his finely made kit.

I ordered an in the white done by Jim himself in SMR .40 NO PATCHBOX.

I will echo the others, do not get the lock inlet on the Pecatonica, it is far more work to correct the location than to put the lock in the right place to start with. I would 100% advise NOT getting the trigger/s inlet either, it is again far more work to correct than to do it correctly in the first place. After one stock I will not ever get another precarve with the lock or triggers inlet, and I probably won't let them inlet the tang either if I went with a precarve.

I will disagree slightly with some others, I don't think the Pecatonica 'kit' is much if any cheaper than Kibler, and it certainly isn't cheaper if you get an L&R lock and whatever castings vs a Kibler lock and castings. Having a lock that needs hours of work or a lock you install and go, what's that worth to you? When you add the tools you will need to do all the tasks needed you will be WAY deeper into the Pecatonica "kit" than the Kibler by the time you make smoke also, in my opinion.

That all said, Kibler either doesn't make the rifle I want or the bore size I want in the rifle they do make that I want, so I haven't bought one. I also wanted to know how to build my own rifle, start to finish, so that factored in too. Buying all the tools etc was just part of the deal for me.

Jut finished my first Kibler kit a piece of cake. Built guns from a block of wood and a pile of parts a lot of time and work. If this is your first try a building a flintlock bite the bullet and pay the extra for a Kibler you won't be sorry. I have another one to do and will start it in the next week or two. Then it will be back to the precarved stock and a pile of parts.

One thing others haven’t mentioned. Excellent design, aesthetics, and historical correctness. No comparison in this regard as well.
@James Kibler True. You do all the work for them. 😜 Still my biggest question is can you make the stock with a longer pull? I’m guessing not. Still, your stuff is beautimus and well made. I’m waitin’ for that Long Land Brown Bess 😉

Last edited:
That all said, Kibler either doesn't make the rifle I want or the bore size I want in the rifle they do make that I want, so I haven't bought one. I also wanted to know how to build my own rifle, start to finish, so that factored in too. Buying all the tools etc was just part of the deal for me
Fine to build your own but my first time experience is you need a lot of tools chisels specifically real rasps and so on. Once you build one you are kind of making a commitment to build more because of the tools you need to gather. The commitment to build more is not a bad thing obviously but you need to have a lot of time even with a partially inlet one. Kimbler’s rifles are beautiful you still have to finish them which is not hard but something you have to think about! I’m kind of disappointed in the stock I purchased from TOTW nothing was as you might expect. Believe it or not the only thing that went smoothly was the Buttplate. If this is your first gun go with a Kimbler. I purchased several. The components are beautiful and the locks are superb! Every time I do something with this TOTW stock there’s some kind of setback. You would have to build one to appreciate “not” what you’re doing. So far I’ve overcome most issues but I expect a lot better for the money spent. One forum member has suggested it is easier to build from block. At this point I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly! Good luck 👍

Kibler has his own cnc made lock, it’s the best, fastest sparking lock I ever tried. Plus his kits are so easy to assemble!
Love my SMR in cherry, and it shoots great

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpeg
    IMG_0861.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back