• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from Canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!

I have recently become interested in flintlocks!

I'd love to take a flintlock rifle or smoothbore out hunting some day, but around here all that is available is Pedersoli, so I am considering building my own from a Pecatonica River kit.

While researching different options, I came across this forum and thought it looked like the perfect community to help guide me along!
Dear Marn93 Youve deffinatly come to the right place and clearly show good taste . What part of Canada may I ask I lived in BC & have lots of shooting friend's in Alberta .Welcome to the forum.
Rudyard in NZ

Oh but you will! Lol once you're hooked well enough. ;)

We'll just wait. Meanwhile you could tell us more about what you wished you had. We all have our own preferences. What are yours?
My short term goal is to have a smoothbore and a rifle.

From what I have seen so far, something like a fusil de chasse is what looks the nicest aesthetically to me. I would like to get a rifle for deer (and maybe bigger game in the future, but deer is what I would be primarily hunting). I am still trying to learn more about the different schools of rifles. Are there any good resources for that?

Right now my plan is to get a kit from pecatonica river since they are around the same price as a pedersoli, but I feel that I might get a better quality gun (and be more proud of it) that way. If anyone has any recommendation on pecatonica kits, it would definitely be appreciated (or advice on a fusil de chasse smoothbore vs rifle for a first flintlock).

Dear Marn93 Youve deffinatly come to the right place and clearly show good taste . What part of Canada may I ask I lived in BC & have lots of shooting friend's in Alberta .Welcome to the forum.
Rudyard in NZ
Ontario

Welcome, from North Carolina! You could do worse than Pedersoli…
What do you think of their Pennsylvania and Frontier rifles? I like the aesthetic of no patchbox, but I also like rifles that have a sideplate and both of these models just have something like a washer for the lock screws.

Maybe I could get a kit version and add a full side plate myself.

What do you think of their Pennsylvania and Frontier rifles? I like the aesthetic of no patchbox, but I also like rifles that have a sideplate and both of these models just have something like a washer for the lock screws.

Maybe I could get a kit version and add a full side plate myself.
I own a .45 cal Pennsylvania Dixie Rifle from the 1990s and a .54 Blue Ridge (a blued-barrel version of the Frontier) from 2019. I like them both a lot. The Pennsylvania is a more “delicate” rifle than the Frontier/Blue Ridge (but a lot of rifles would be, because the Frontier/Blue Ridge is a beast 😎). I don’t have an issue with the lock screws, but I am sure you could inlet the stock and add a lock plate if you so desired.

Back