• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica Fusil First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh boy. I am starting to realize the magnitude of my mistake and the lack of ability and natural talent I have. I Am realizing also that the contractor chisels will need some modification. Please offer me any critism, advise thanks

89C87074-E958-4C42-B87A-6DAD198C31F8.jpeg
24940864-EB68-4E9A-94DE-77876D8F3B0C.jpeg

Think I see Dixon's book in the picture. Your lock inlet seems reasonably ok. Just go slow. It is a whole new world of chisels. I fought that for a while but eventually cracked and got better ones.

Read everything @dave_person has ever written here. There are some other great builders too, Dave just does a great job of explaining and documentating in order.

Break down and get the right tools for the job. Learn to sharpen all edged tools so scary sharpen that you are afraid of them.

Be patient and go slow, take breaks.

Edit:
Below you will find a reply from the other gentleman I was trying to think when I wrote this reply. Unfortunately brain fade took over.
(Sorry, @PathfinderNC)
Read his posts on his builds, he provides a lot of good information.

Last edited:
The Pecatonica Fusil de Chase kits are pretty good I think (I built two). My go-to tool for in-letting was an X-Acto knife (get a box of #11 blades; you will use lots). I have several Sheffield carving chisels but use just a few that work best for me. Rifler files are very, very useful. I have micro and standard sizes. Also, unpopular as they are, I use a dremel tool for select applications with fine results. I won't suggest you use one unless you have had a good amount of practice and can control it as well as a dentist might!
I didn't use the side plate that Pecatonica provided. It doesn't fit the L&R Lock very well. (Muzzleloarers Builder Supply has good alternative choices.)
As mentioned above, go through Dave Person's threads in here. His tutorials are amazingly helpful and easy to understand.
Many mistakes can be fixed, so don't freak-out. One step at a time, and it will all come together.

Attachments

• Fusil 1.jpg
    Fusil 1.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 0
  • Fusils 2.jpg
    Fusils 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting .....
Yep, I regrettably attempted a DIY. What money that doesn’t go to farm animals, church, philanthropy, cleaning other peoples trash from public hunting areas(ugh), goes to my very hungry 38 week pregnant wife. There is sadly a set yearly budget allocated for entertainment, and I needed something to do to help cope with PTSD.

Yep, I regrettably attempted a DIY. What money that doesn’t go to farm animals, church, philanthropy, cleaning other peoples trash from public hunting areas(ugh), goes to my very hungry 38 week pregnant wife. There is sadly a set yearly budget allocated for entertainment, and I needed something to do to help cope with PTSD.
And I’m greatful that I chose this route rather than dropping $2,000 on a rifle even if I do mess it up. About a week after I ordered it, we had major septic issues. We are very rural and it was 20 degrees out. $$$$$
The Pecatonica Fusil de Chase kits are pretty good I think (I built two). My go-to tool for in-letting was an X-Acto knife (get a box of #11 blades; you will use lots). I have several Sheffield carving chisels but use just a few that work best for me. Rifler files are very, very useful. I have micro and standard sizes. Also, unpopular as they are, I use a dremel tool for select applications with fine results. I won't suggest you use one unless you have had a good amount of practice and can control it as well as a dentist might!
I didn't use the side plate that Pecatonica provided. It doesn't fit the L&R Lock very well. (Muzzleloarers Builder Supply has good alternative choices.)
As mentioned above, go through Dave Person's threads in here. His tutorials are amazingly helpful and easy to understand.
Many mistakes can be fixed, so don't freak-out. One step at a time, and it will all come together.
thanks for the advise, it means a lot that someone would take the time to write a thought out reply. If I can get it to turn out half as good as one of those I’ll be happy

I hope you get it together and enjoy the hell out of it !
Brother I’m just glad I don’t have poop coming up through the tubs any more lol the worst part of it all, my wife ended up with pink eye. Poor thing. I was the one who talked her into buying a farm with a 1972 house. I ran myself up the wall trying to find the septic system. Professionals searched. We probed we dug, we flushed sonar transmitters. The hypervigilance part of the ptsd was in overdrive. I whole heartedly believed there was not one. But we’ve got one, and she’s now empty. All down hill from here 😂

Think I see Dixon's book in the picture. Your lock inlet seems reasonably ok. Just go slow. It is a whole new world of chisels. I fought that for a while but eventually cracked and got better ones.
Is there anything I can do to clean up some of the jaggedness around the inlet?

All good advise above. Just remember to relax and think about things before you tear into it. It's a form of therapy and not something you're in a hurry to finish. Pathfinder uses an exacto knife a lot. So do I but one thing I learned early on is to grind or stone off that really sharp point. I broke
one off on a corner of a lock inlet once and it really created some problems! 😖

And please, when you talk to people our age don't say it's all downhill from here. We are well aware of that! 😁

All good advise above. Just remember to relax and think about things before you tear into it. It's a form of therapy and not something you're in a hurry to finish. Pathfinder uses an exacto knife a lot. So do I but one thing I learned early on is to grind or stone off that really sharp point. I broke
one off on a corner of a lock inlet once and it really created some problems! 😖

And please, when you talk to people our age don't say it's all downhill from here. We are well aware of that! 😁
I put the angry face over the frustration of the broken xacto blade tip (millennial here).

Question about barrel inletting, am I aiming for full contact of the barrel to the stock. I am using Prussian blue to inlet with. When I am at the right point, should the inletting blue be the full length of the barrel, on all flats inside the barrel channel? I have managed to seat the breech fully to the back of the barrel channel, and am getting full contact of the breech. Just trying to figure about the length of the barrel in the channel.

Latest posts

Back