• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn Shop Blasphemy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy it; even with the flaws it would be a good deal around here. Good luck ! :thumb:
If you don’t spend enough you can waste all your money but if you get a decent rifle you just waste a little money It don’t seem a lot in english money , and if it don’t work out buy another barrel I mean just a lock can be £200 Yrs I have wasted money just get carried away at auction Such is life.

Cold and raining London

If the scope is mounted properly I would leave the scope on it to test loads. Not saying I would mount a scope on a muzzleloader,but if it's on there wth? Lol

Seems like there could be money to be made if you’re up to parting it out. Or, buy it with the intentions of giving it to someone to get started on.

Might be obvious, but make certain that they didn't drill down into the bore. No way to fix that other than to cut it off and make it into a short-barreled muzzleloader or pistol. The price actually sounds pretty reasonable.
Yes, there are ways to fix that. Even if the scope mount holes do go through, I have fixed them with set screws. Find the correct thread and buy them long. File the point end flat and smooth. Put some JB Weld on the threads or red thread locker. Install the screws to what you believe is flush with the suface of the bore, or just a tiny bit shy and let the glue set up 24 hours. File down the top of the screw to be smooth with the barrel surface and reblue. Now is the time to plumb-rust the barrel if you want to. Refinish the stock and sell the whole gun for 3 times what you paid for it or just shoot it. Might be a great gun.

If you don’t spend enough you can waste all your money but if you get a decent rifle you just waste a little money It don’t seem a lot in english money , and if it don’t work out buy another barrel I mean just a lock can be £200 Yrs I have wasted money just get carried away at auction Such is life.

Cold and raining London
A bidding war can overcome all reason.

Just left a local shop lookin for BP magic pipes.

They had a TC Renegade .50 for $149 with a dang scope drilled and mounted 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

Stock isnt the prettiest but definitely not the worst I ever seen.
Front sight has fiberoptic.. rear looks standard to me anyways. From what I could see with a flashlight of theres.. the bore had some light rust. Grooves looked ok from the light I had.

Million dollar question is should I go and rescue this rifle.... fling the scope in a dumpster.... and give it the proper TLC and bring it back to life.

I tried haggling them down from the $149 tag and lowest they will go is $140 plus tax which is kinda silly to me. Looks like $100 gun at best.

Thoughts?
I’d ask what they could without the scope? Or sell scope on Fleabay

I’d ask what they could without the scope? Or sell scope on Fleabay
Heck I even told them they could keep the scope. They wouldnt budge.

I put in my car a practically new big Husky rolling toolbag I was given a few years back. I never used it. Looks spanking new and its big and heavy. I dont need it so will see if they will do trade plus cash on it.

Hopefully the other pawn shops in the worksite area yield some decent finds as well, I know that it’s a rarity in my area to ever run across anything worth buying. But definitely agree with other posts and your decision in scooping it up, parts alone are worth that

I would not have a problem with it having a scope on it. I would prefer a 1x to 3.5x as the ranges we shoot isn’t all that far. But if they drilled the holes too deep then it is a bit iffy. Other than that I think it would be OK. Granted the traditionalists hate it. But when you get old the scope or red dot sight become very much needed on a gun. If your state allows you to hunt with a scope on your BP muzzle loader then go for it.

Try to sneak some pics and post it up here for all us Monday Morning Quarterbacks, kidding aside we can help you on deciding. If you go back to check it further bring a long enough rod to make sure there isnt an old load in there or someone blocked up the bore. As for the nipple on my experience with my antique gun find below I just replaced it.

You can also keep in mind, and let it sit. No takers in time the cost may come down with negotiations. May or may not. About 6 years back in an antique store there were two PC long guns. One was a double barrel shotgun with a badly chipped and deep crack in the stock (it would need repair work for sure). They wanted $200. Another was what I researched later to be made in Spain, .410 ball PC small game rifle they wanted $140. Both guns were late 1890's era and the barrels and metal was in good shape. The lady refused to budge. I was was trying to talk down the shotgun. No use, she was firm. I walked away. Just about a year later, wife and I returned to this store. I looked for them. The shotgun was was gone, ugh! The other was still there, but now at $100 bucks. I made an $80 offer and the same lady took it. It had some cool carvings of a duck face with bill carved on the stock. Became a wall hanger for a while until covid hit, and being bored inside mostly decided to go thru it, just needed some TLC, cleaned it, checked out the barrel, etc. and yes I test fired it while mounted in a vise with a string to pull on the trigger and I hid like a little girl in case it blew apart. After which time I put on my big boy pants used 35 grns BP and a .375 ball with .010 patch. Then shot it from the hip (photo) and it shot perfectly. Actually too perfect, as I accidently shot a hole right thru my shed about 40' away lolol. I shoot it now all the time, its a fun small rifle to shoot with some character.

So getting back to the TC in question, try and sit on it a while and then go back after the Holidays end of January and go in and make another offer. You never know. If you get it, do what was mentioned here on a previous post, "make it a project gun and either keep it or flip it." Only big concern would be to make sure prior that the scope holes didn't go thru into the barrel, if so walk away from it. Just my 1 1/2 cents opinion.

Sorry I don't mean to change topic with my story, just my experience which was similar to yours and what I did. Do try to sneak some pics on it if possible and good luck.

Attachments

• Duck Front Stock.jpg
    Duck Front Stock.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1121.PNG
    IMG_1121.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Duck Right Side Stock.jpg
    Duck Right Side Stock.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back