• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good finds at local pawn shop…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, so I have previously bemoaned the fact that I never see any sidelocks at any of my local pawnshops or gun stores. Well, I stand corrected, as of today.😀 I went into a local pawn shop and they had a .54 TC Hawken, a .54 CVA Mountain Rifle, a .56 TC Renegade smoothbore, a couple of civil war Enfields that had been sporterized, one with a Snyder conversion, and a .45 CVA Kentucky pistol from 1983. I made an offer on the Renegade and the Kentucky pistol, but only left with the pistol (which is actually, mostly what I was looking for anyway). It was a good day!😎

Attachments

• F7CA21A1-BFD7-48A5-A338-6DFD05E42552.jpeg
    F7CA21A1-BFD7-48A5-A338-6DFD05E42552.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 40408B0D-E418-40A4-AAAC-5CB4B5F3C0FE.jpeg
    40408B0D-E418-40A4-AAAC-5CB4B5F3C0FE.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 85
  • F0C5BD45-1D0D-47E2-BB57-355991D970D7.jpeg
    F0C5BD45-1D0D-47E2-BB57-355991D970D7.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 91
Because you never see them, when you actually DO they are likely to be reasonably priced. The shops obviously don't have that sort of a client base, so when they are buying, they are buying (cheap) for a quicker resale, because odds are it might lay around there a LONG time until "just the right guy" (like you) comes along. ML'ing is only 5%-10% of the overall firearms market, and about 80% of THAT is dominated by in-lines.

Looks like you scored. I haven't seen many muzzleloaders in pawn shops and those I did find were supposedly owned by Daniel Boone as he fought off the hostile Yankees as he single handed won the battle of Bunker Hill just before he shot a Boone and Crockett record white tail on a hunt with Teddy Roosevelt while looking for Louis and Clark a couple years ago and are worth very big bucks. Yup, the grasp of history in most pawn shops is about that sketchy.

A lot of Pawn Shops will not buy or pawn black powder guns
A friend of mine works for a different pawn and guns store, and he says the owner doesn’t carry traditional black powder weapons because he doesn’t think there is much of a market in it. I tell him, I would buy stuff, but it doesn’t seem to be enough…😀

Ok, so I have previously bemoaned the fact that I never see any sidelocks at any of my local pawnshops or gun stores. Well, I stand corrected, as of today.😀 I went into a local pawn shop and they had a .54 TC Hawken, a .54 CVA Mountain Rifle, a .56 TC Renegade smoothbore, a couple of civil war Enfields that had been sporterized, one with a Snyder conversion, and a .45 CVA Kentucky pistol from 1983. I made an offer on the Renegade and the Kentucky pistol, but only left with the pistol (which is actually, mostly what I was looking for anyway). It was a good day!😎
It’s funny, but I just noticed that the barrel on the Kentucky looks blued in these pictures, but it is actually nicely browned…

I work in a gun shop in Ohio. The store owners don't care much for black powder guns. However, we do occasionally get used percussion muzzle loaders in on trades and estate purchases. (We sometimes get a few inlines for deer season.) Yesterday I sold a used T/C Hawken 50 caliber rifle to a happy customer. We still have a 50 caliber T/C Seneca on the shelf.

Latest posts

Back