• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patched Ball accuracy @ 100yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased a "lead sled" but have never used it. I do use sandbags for benching. Some barrels are so long, I rest only the front under the sight and hold the butt at the shoulder. It is the best way of developing the accuracy necessary for cross stick matches.

I have been thinking about a pistol rest for developing loads for black powder pistols. But that would be something where the front and butt would rest solid. I saw such a rest years ago and didn't pay enough attention to the way it was made. Not that my freehand shooting would be improved measurably, but then I would have a better idea if the group size was partially the guns fault.

My front bag is directly under the rear wedge pin when I shoot the Lyman GPR. I thought I read that you need the position to be consistant (maybe it was for center fire) don't know if that holds true for ML. For the load development or shooting the gong at 100 yards, I have my free non-trigger hand under my armpit squeezing the bag to position the rifle.

I'm getting real close to that 70 mark. Had issues with my T.C. Renegade 54 Cal deer rifle. The sight is so thick that I covered the target instead of seeing it at 100 yds. Plus my eyes are not and I repeat not what they once were.
Instead of quitting hunting deer, I went against popular thoughts and put a T.C. "SEE THRU SCOPE MOUNT" on the 54 Cal. Now I can shoot at close up targets with the standard rear sight or at targets near 100 yds with the scope.
I still have enough primitive rifles to stay in the game. Just had common sense to possibly avoid injuring a hunted animal and not getting a humane killing shot.

Melnic: Ever see the mounts on slug guns or the flat blocks on the front of some chunk guns. Some slug guns and heavy bench guns have arrangements under the muzzle that look like rocking chair rockers, to hold the gun on the rest. Some chunk guns have wide flat areas just under and behind the muzzle, again, to hold the gun on the "chunk"

Regarding patched ball accuracy, one should consider the sights used. An article in the American Rifleman in the 1970's (citation unclear) had tests done on repeatability of various metal/scope sights. Test method used a bore-mounted laser, shooter asked to bench-mount a firearm, align sights, noted the impact point, then asked to re-align the sites. Measurements among these were compiled.

The results were the typical blade front/notch rear were capable of about 2 MOA repeatability, peep/iris/diopter (similar to the M1 Garand), about 1 MOA, scope about 1/magnification, so a 10X could create a repeatability of about 1/10 MOA.

So consider all the variables in shooting a ML patched ball, include the sights! Sometimes the variabilty will help, sometimes hinder. So if you get a 1" 5-shot group at 100 yds, maybe you're just lucky, try it again another 10 times. And if you get a whopper, try it again another 10 times! Average them to get some idea of what the long term (hunting?) capability might be.

azmntman said:
Would be same as holding the rifle up to a tree when shooting

My son, at age 13, took his 2nd turkey leaning against a tree, he wont do that again!!

I'd be real cautious about taking a turkey that's leaning up against a tree.

Healthy turkeys stand on both feet without needing something to lean on so it was probably sick. :hmm:

Zonie said:
azmntman said:
Would be same as holding the rifle up to a tree when shooting

My son, at age 13, took his 2nd turkey leaning against a tree, he wont do that again!!

I'd be real cautious about taking a turkey that's leaning up against a tree.

Healthy turkeys stand on both feet without needing something to lean on so it was probably sick. :hmm:

:rotf:

I am also on a Facebook flintlock forum. Someone recently posted a pic of a target he had just shot with a new rifle and first time he had ever shot an ml rifle. The target was one of those orange things used for sighting modern rifles. He said it was at 150 meters, fired offhand. Of five shots, four were in the 10 ring and one 'flyer' into the nine ring. He was dissapointed. :shocked2: He wanted help to improve.
Frankly, I do not believe it at all. More like 150 inches maybe, and the rest complete fabrication.
I did not reply to his post, I would have simply called him a liar. Oh, well. Takes all kinds. Did I go :eek:ff ?

I'd agree that seems unlikely (but not impossible) with a novice flintlock shooter standing, although it depends on the diameter of the 10 ring and if the distance to the target was measured or an eyeball estimate.

The NMLRA has a 5 shot 100 yd FL offhand event, with a 1" X ring, 2" 10 ring, and 4" 9 ring. The national record score is 49-3X set in 2005, so 4 of the 5 shots were in a 2" diameter circle. This from a seasoned, experienced FL shooter with years of practice and well-honed skills and equipment.

FWIW, the NRA HP record for 20 shots standing at 200 yds is 200-15X, set in 1971 and tied in 2011. The 15X's were inside a 3" diameter scoring ring, the remaining 5 shots were inside a 7" ring.

If this flintlock shooter was using a PRB, the ballistics are pretty sour at 150 meters.

This from a seasoned, experienced FL shooter with years of practice and well-honed skills and equipment.

There have always been some whose skills are beyond incredible. :bow: Some can hold so steady I doubt a bench and sandbags would improve the hold. There are also some who shoot the Hawken match on the primitive side who can do much the same.

Back