• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patched Ball accuracy @ 100yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
For day to day shooting and hunting, I'll opin, the best rest is a front only at the point where your hand grips the forearm. And, the holding hand should grip the rifle but be resting on the sandbag. The rear should be supported by the arm and body only. This will simulate offhand shooting and still give you a good, but not competition solid, front rest.
:bow: :thumbsup:
Amen brother!!

I'll opin, the best rest is a front only at the point where your hand grips the forearm. And, the holding hand should grip the rifle but be resting on the sandbag. The rear should be supported by the arm and body only. This will simulate offhand shooting and still give you a good, but not competition solid, front rest.

Thats fine and dandy for hunter sight in (to be further checked and confirmed in a field type position), but for load development, the most solid and repeatable rest possible will best serve.

marmotslayer said:
I'll opin, the best rest is a front only at the point where your hand grips the forearm. And, the holding hand should grip the rifle but be resting on the sandbag. The rear should be supported by the arm and body only. This will simulate offhand shooting and still give you a good, but not competition solid, front rest.

Thats fine and dandy for hunter sight in (to be further checked and confirmed in a field type position), but for load development, the most solid and repeatable rest possible will best serve.

.....Uuh.... :shocked2:
Isn't that what I said? :confused:
:wink: :v

Pretty much, but then you back-walked on that concept when you said:

To further answer your question. Lead sled, machine or rail gun rests are strange critters. Won't say no ml'er has ever used them but are definitely extreme measures, IMHO.

Those devices are actually ideal for load devel.

Greetings Mr. Melnic, I too shoot a .54 Lyman Great Plains, 1/60 twist. I have found that shooting a PRB .530 with .018 patching gives me my best grouping @ 100 yds. I asked an "Old Smoke pole hunter" if that was enough for elk @ 100 yds. His reply was " Son at 100 yards that load would go through small buffalo." I think what I would do is go to a range and plan on trying different loads, 5- 10 each untill you found the one you and your rifle is happy with. Good Luck and Keep your Powder Dry.

What is the load?

I have not gone beyond the load used here. I need to spend more time with different loads yes.

I should also try the .530 ball now with the spit patch.

Here is a vid my dad did
[youtube]1Is5bC6ofDA[/youtube]

marmotslayer said:
Pretty much, but then you back-walked on that concept when you said:

To further answer your question. Lead sled, machine or rail gun rests are strange critters. Won't say no ml'er has ever used them but are definitely extreme measures, IMHO.

Those devices are actually ideal for load devel.

At the risk of straying from topic, I'll further opin. The rail gun is a thing unto itself. I suppose an ml barrel could be rigged for testing on one. Not much to be gained from the effort but can be done.
The Lead Sled is another animule altogether. I think it could be destructive to an ml rifle, especially one made from highly figured maple on a longrifle. The stock would take the recoil because of the rigidigy and weight of the Lead Sled. Shooting from the shoulder allows the shooter to absorb the recoil. Try your best rifle in one and let us know what happens. :shocked2: After you stop crying. :(

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of UNTESTED expertise to be found on the forums. (sorry for the old style, phone won't allow embedding emoticons)

I personally don't like the idea of tying my gun to some specialized shooting gizmo. I don't know about your rails, sleds or vices. I feel like the biggest variable in muzzleloading is the shooter. Leaving that part out of load development seems like an oversight.

Mine is a hunting gun, I'm happy with minute of deer accuracy and I practice with it in the manner it is used in the field. Either offhand or with a rest under my supporting hand.

I like the idea of extreme accuracy but I feel that it detracts from the spirit of muzzleloading which drew me to the pass time.

I can probably hit that gong freehand. If there's a machine that can do better thats great but I don't care because I'm not bringing a vice with me in the woods.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular. It's just my opinion. :v

illuveatar said:
I feel like the biggest variable in muzzleloading is the shooter. Leaving that part out of load development seems like an oversight.
Bingo!! :thumbsup:
The gun is just a tool.
And of course the tool needs to be in it's best form,,
But the operator needs to know how to use the tool.
With time, the tool operator can become a craftsmen but that takes practice and experience.

marmotslayer said:
Never ceases to amaze me the amount of UNTESTED expertise to be found on the forums. (sorry for the old style, phone won't allow embedding emoticons)

Note: I did qualify by saying "I think". Would be same as holding the rifle up to a tree when shooting. Could shatter at wrist. Like I suggested, try with your best rifle and let us know results. :grin:

I have used a lead sled numerous times with a GPR, TC hawken and traditions deer hunter. No I'll effects!

I plan to continue to use bags for load development. If I shoot offhand @ 50 yards, I have no clue how my load development is going. I have a CVA hawken which I've been doing some offhand shooting with. I'll get to the Lyman when I get some more balls shipped in. I ran out on Monday.
I can't say for certain but I've had decent success keeping the POI very close offhand vs. bench by where I put the front bag matching it to where my hand goes. Right now, I don't close my hand onto the stock, I keep an open palm. That's NOT how I shoot a center fire rifle, but one guy told me to try it on a ML, so I did. I'll try other grips as I see them to figure out what I like.

Mooman76 said:
Walt53 said:
ANYONE catch the part about the duplex load of BH209 +BP ?? safety first.

Yes, nothing unsafe about it.
I have only used Black Powder in any BP gun Goex preferred. Having so much I have never tried Swiss or whatever. Elephant however I tried and it was junk.

I did shoot with some of the big name guys who sometimes used a duplex load buy I have no experience with that.

Melnic said:
I plan to continue to use bags for load development. If I shoot offhand @ 50 yards, I have no clue how my load development is going. I have a CVA hawken which I've been doing some offhand shooting with. I'll get to the Lyman when I get some more balls shipped in. I ran out on Monday.
I can't say for certain but I've had decent success keeping the POI very close offhand vs. bench by where I put the front bag matching it to where my hand goes. Right now, I don't close my hand onto the stock, I keep an open palm. That's NOT how I shoot a center fire rifle, but one guy told me to try it on a ML, so I did. I'll try other grips as I see them to figure out what I like.

Go for it you're working up loads not in NMLRA competition

Latest posts

Back